Can you use a 10 speed front derallieur on an 8 speed bike?

Tomc273
Tomc273 Posts: 29
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Looking to get a new front derailleur for my bike as my current one has always been a bit dodgy. However, I have an 8 speed cassette and all the decent front derailleurs I have seen say 10 speed. Is it possible to use a 10 speed one?

Cheers

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Less i'm mistaken, front chainrings on 8 speed systems are spaced further apart to allow for the wider 8 speed chain. Front derailleurs for them have wider cages and possibly move further per pull of a certain amount of cable (not entirely sure on that one). I know the cage on 9 speed front derailleurs got narrower so there's a good chance they did it again when designing the 10 speed stuff.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    i think you'll be ok, front mechs are pretty dumb, on/off, things, you should be able to adjust it ok for 8 speed
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I think it will work OK. I use a Campag 10 speed front mech on a 9 speed triple chainset system with no problems. I have also used it successfully on a classic Campag Victory triple chainset with wider spaced chainrings designed for 6 or 7 speed systems.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ouija wrote:
    Less i'm mistaken, front chainrings on 8 speed systems are spaced further apart to allow for the wider 8 speed chain. Front derailleurs for them have wider cages and possibly move further per pull of a certain amount of cable (not entirely sure on that one). I know the cage on 9 speed front derailleurs got narrower so there's a good chance they did it again when designing the 10 speed stuff.

The width of the cage is slightly different but it will work fine (as long as you use a road mech). In fact I'm using a modern front mech on an 8-speed chain and chainset on my touring bike right now.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}