Mavic Open sup with 501 hubs ?

Dudders29
Dudders29 Posts: 171
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Are they any good ? What's a new set worth ?

Comments

• You can't buy a new set as these are old stock hubs... the hubs are sought after in excess of the wheel set.... if you are planning to sell them, cut the spokes and sell rims and hubs separately, they'll make more than the sum of the parts... sadly.
    100/140 quid is probably what you can expect to make, while the wheels will never make 100 quid
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm not selling but my best mates dad who used to own a bike shop a few years ago has a set of these wheels brand new with the 501 hubs and has said I can have em for £200. He said they were £500 when there were current stock.
    Seems £200 is way to much ?
  • The 501 are hubs for a screw on freewheel, not a cassette, so if you have a period bike they are a nice set of wheels, otherwise what are you going to do with them?
    If he finds the collector, 200 is reasonable, otherwise they are pretty much useless
    See what I mean?

$(KGrHqIOKosFIvGYDO)JBSRI)pLW5Q~~60_12.JPG
  • No good on my Shimano 10 speed 105 group set then
  • Dudders29 wrote:
    No good on my Shimano 10 speed 105 group set then

No... shame I didn't come across these a couple of months earlier... I had a guy who was looking for something along those lines for a late 80s bike
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They weren't £500 new either....nice hubs but they were only about £150/pr, plus add £120 for rims and spokes - obviously someone's memory is suffering from inflation. Apart from C-Record, prices for late 80s/early 90s bike parts haven't quite reached the heights of earlier parts
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • They are actually open pro rims apparently. I'm wondering if I can get em for the right price they would be better than my Fulcrum 7's
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    The rear hub is still useless for your bike though.
  • I'll say it once again for the last time... rims are rims, the problem is the rear hub... under no circumstance it will take your 10 speed cassette, because it does not take cassettes, it takes freewheels instead. Freewheels are an older system which was not updated to 9,10 and 11 speed by Shimano.

The ONLY way to make this work is to get hold of one of these

http://www.jensonusa.com/DNP-Epoch-10-Speed-Freewheel

which I don't think is for sale in the UK and it limits your options severely