Boring generic thread of today.

bowdy1987
bowdy1987 Posts: 96
edited December 2013 in Road general
Apologies for what must have been covered among this forum more than cyclists jumping red lights and wearing ear phones combined. But...

Garmin Edge 200, is it just basically a 500 without HR & Cadence functionabilty (made that one up)?
Is it as accurate and can it connect to strava?

Basically I want to be able to record rides to strava. and obviously see how fast I'm going etc.

Don't need loads and loads of replies to this thread, just someone with experience who can simply answer whether 200 can do what I need.

Many thanks

Bowdy

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    Functionality
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I have a 200 and the GPS is as accurate as a 500 and it connects straight to Strava when you plug it into the PC.
    The 500 is better because speed it displays on screen is taken from a wheel sensor which is more accurate as it is slightly more instantaneous so will react better when you're accelerating. Cadence and heart rate are both useful training tools you just have to weigh up if that's worth the extra cash for you. If all you want is GPS then then the 200 is a good choice.
  • Yes,

lol, have used both and I believe that the 200 fits your need precisely. Use a 200 currently and wouldnt shell out for a 500 again :)
  • 200 all the way. It will work fine.

Once you connect to Garmin Connect you can upload to Strava.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    The 200 is not as accurate as the 500 in terms of altitude as the 500 has a barometric altimeter, but also doesn't have custom screens In all honesty its not worth the extra if all you want is distance and speed. It will connect directly to Strava and Endomondo. The 200 will work just fine.
  • Gozzy wrote:
    Functionality

Yeah I know haha. I was taking the piss..

Cheers for the replies.

Yeah basically all I want is to be able to see how fast and how far I'm going. And as long as the 200 will accurately record both of these then I'm more than happy with the 200
  • Try and look at a Bryton Rider 20E too. They're going cheap for around £50 these days and they do everything that a Garmin 200 does, but it also has ANT+ functionality too. The lack of customisation on the display is a bit of a pain sometimes, but for the price it's a bargain.
  • This thread has rendered totally useless as I have just ordered an Edge 500 from CRC..

Thanks for the replies though
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 41
    The 500 does the job for me, you'll be glad you went with it. I toyed with 'lesser' Garmins and other computers with less features but glad I stuck with that.