What would you look out for when buying a used MTB?

celf-fella
celf-fella Posts: 28
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I am considering buying my first full suspension bike, possibly either a Stumpjumper or Giant Trance

My question is, aside from the obvious signs of wear and tear, buckled wheels, dodgy brakes etc....what else should i look out for when buying a used full sus.

any advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links and bearings, and suspension bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    Links and bearings, and suspension bits.

This, plus any signs of stress or fatigue in the paint or powder coat. Look at the welds too. Chainstay welds are definitely worth looking at on Specialized FS bikes.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Be sure to take it for a quick spin up and down the road to check for any irregular noises. And to add to cooldad's point, if the suspension parts have lockout/threshold adjust/rebound etc. make sure they all function properly.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Oil leaking from the suspension seals and smooth cables
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Proof that the seller has owned the bike for more than 24 hours ie paperwork receipts etc and at least a working knowledge of the bike. Snot nosed Hoodies with nicotine stained fingers and the physique of a sewer rat dont generally buy and ride 2 grand MTBs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Having just bought a used bike, I pretty much covered everything in here - one of the most important to me was proof of ownership. Don't be afraid to walk away if they can't prove they bought the bike or at least some uprated components on it (but even then I'd be a bit weary!).

I'd also check the BB for rust, as that can sometimes mean it needs replacing...