Brake pads

bikemanspen
bikemanspen Posts: 101
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Ok so I've been using the stock pads in my shimano brakes (basic) and realise there no very good at all!
What pads do you guys recommend ? Am I right in thinking they'll might quite a big difference?
Cube agree pro 2013
Trek fuel ex8 2009 (rootbeer)

Comments

• I took the plunge with swisstop greens and would recommend them, great braking in wet and dry
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    In the summer when it was dry I upgraded my brakes to 105's and they worked well enough, in the wet the 105's were appalling. In the wet I now use swisstop greens which stop my 16 stone fine but nowhere near as well as the 105's in the dry. There are other pads that work well in the wet people can recommend.

The stock pads and brakes on my road bike were very poor in the dry.
  • Swisstop black are good on aluminium rims (according to the makers they are a little more considerate to the rims than the greens).
  • I prefer the Swisstop blacks. On expensive rims imo they are the only block that is worth putting on. Stop well with virtually zero rim wear. Only downside is they wear down a bit quicker, which is to be expected.
  • I currently use Swisstop greens, previously used Koolstop salmons. Can't say I've noticed much difference between the two; braking in the dry with clean brakes/rims is very good, in the wet is ok. But just yesterday I was looking at my pads and both the rear pads had chunks of rock or glass in them which were scraping on my rims. Not the fault of the brakes I guess, it's due to the weather, but keep an eye out for that!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've used all brands of brake pads and never noticed any difference. With the exception, of course, of ceramic rims and their compatable pads.

Don't follow, at all, the ongoing "paranoia" (if you will)that standard Campy, Shimano, or Sram pads are junk. :?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Ok so I've been using the stock pads in my shimano brakes (basic) and realise there no very good at all!
    What pads do you guys recommend ? Am I right in thinking they'll might quite a big difference?

You've been on the forum for a year and a half and in that time you have never seen a brake pad post before? Happens all the time and the, so called, answer to every query has been to buy Swiss Stop. Nothing else is any good. Which I think is bullsh*t, but....... :?
  • Well, I've never used Swissstop so I can't compare, but I've been using Koolstop Salmon for a couple of years now and have been well pleased with them in the wet or dry. 20Km Pyrenean descents, again wet and dry, gave no cause for concern when braking.

Oh, and the Koolstops are generally less than half the price of the Swissstops.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Well, I've never used Swissstop so I can't compare, but I've been using Koolstop Salmon for a couple of years now and have been well pleased with them in the wet or dry. 20Km Pyrenean descents, again wet and dry, gave no cause for concern when braking.

Oh, and the Koolstops are generally less than half the price of the Swissstops.

Think you might be comparing a single pair of koostops against 2 pair's of swisstops.

Edit Hope you have not been saving the difference for a holiday
  • Ok, not quite half the price but £14.40 for 2 pairs of Koolstop; £25 for Swissstop.

The saving will generally go for a couple of bottles of wine while on holiday :) It would be rude not to sample the local produce.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Got some Swissstop BXP pads from Probikekit in their sale yesterday (19 sniffs for 2 x pairs). Appear to be an upgraded version of the Swissstop greens, which I currently use and have been great so will be interesting to see if these are better.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Got some Swissstop BXP pads from Probikekit in their sale yesterday (19 sniffs for 2 x pairs). Appear to be an upgraded version of the Swissstop greens, which I currently use and have been great so will be interesting to see if these are better.

I use the BXP's and they're great.
    Also took the opportunity to order some spares from probikekit given the 20% discount :D