KTM Lycan 274 or Ultra 1964 - Opinions, alternatives?

Androo
Androo Posts: 7
edited May 2016 in MTB general
Hi,

I've been mountain biking for decades, although I haven't done much in the last few years. Largely because two years ago my garage was broken into and my bikes (an old Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro and a Kona Tanuki) were nicked, and my home insurance wouldn't cover them (my fault, but galling nonetheless). I've now moved to a new house on the edge of the south downs, with a very secure shed, and I'm looking at buying myself a new mountain bike. I reckon I could justify spending around a grand and I'd like something that will be a great trail bike (mostly) but that is tough enough / has enough suspension travel to handle the odd bit of enthusiastic free-ride / downhill type stuff.

Things have moved on a lot since I was up to speed on what's good and what's not, but I know a couple of people with Canyons that really rate them. I like the idea of bigger wheels and it seems like 26" wheels are gonna become obsolete eventually, so I'm looking at 650B and 29ers. Probably 650B, I'm 5"9', 13 stone and I think after a lifetime of riding 26" wheels 650B would suit me better.

I was pretty much decided that I'd get a Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 but my brother can give me trade prices (about 35% discount on retail prices) on KTM bikes through his company (he sells electric bikes) and it seems to make sense to take advantage of this. He's not a mountain biker but he suggested a KTM Ultra 1964 hard tail since apparently they're well specced for the money and have some nice finishing touches, but since I'm used to riding fully sus I'm looking at the KTM Lycan 274. Anyone got any comments on the Canyon and KTM bikes - or suggestions for what else I should look at?

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Not seen the KTM bikes before but looking at them they seem pretty well specced - not much info on geometry but the Lycan looks xc/trail based, well equipped but without knowing pricing it s hard to be definitive. Canyon's dont shake my tree but they are definitely well specced for the prices they come in at.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stick links up and you might get more replies.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Judging from your post, and previous bikes, a full suss is the one to go for... but sorry cant offer any advice on KTM, I know their motorbikes but not push
  • The Lycan 274 retails at £1445 and the Ultra 1964 retails at £949 - I'd get around a third off though. I'm not sure whether I need full sus, I thought the larger wheels would compensate to an extent and I've got pretty good riding technique (I'm usually faster through tricky stuff than much fitter riders!)

Obviously I'll be better off trying both bikes first. But to do this I'd have to go to a KTM dealer knowing that I've no intention of buying my bike from them, which I don't think is fair play. Maybe I should buy an accessory from them while I'm there.
  • Androo
    Androo Posts: 7
    Some feedback on this topic - in the end I went for the Lycan 274, and I'm absolutely chuffed with it after nearly a year. I'd buy the same bike again!
  • I went for an Ultra a couple of months back and also love it. :)

I was being tight and bought an ex magazine photo shoot test bike, so made a good saving, and I wasn't overly worried if it came with a couple of battle scars. Thankfully it didn't though, and only had a couple of marks on the pedal cranks. The only downside of the bike for me, is that by buying blind, I didn't get to try the bike in respect of frame size. I could have really done with the next size up, as the seat post is up on it's limit.
    The only mods so far, has been the fitting of a Muckynutz guard. The tyres will have to be changed at some stage soon though, as they are fighting for grip now that things have turned wet.
    Even if I had had to pay full price, I would still be thinking that it is a cracking bit of kit.

Whatever the choice, I firmly believe that KTM make a cracking good bike. :)

r4_zps1b0d7684.jpg

IMG_20141019_150927_zpsf17da1f2.jpg
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The rear end flex on the Lycan is nasty. Worst I have experienced on a modern bike.
    I have read a review suggesting it's a problem throughout the range with the exception of the Ratchet which is just a tank.
    There are rumours going around that the Athertons Could be on KTM next year and a new range of bikes on the way.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I've got a Lycan 271...what do you mean by flex in the rear?

Not had any issues with mine after 9 months!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Through bumpy turns in particular you can feel it flexing, makes it difficult to hold a line and just feels loose at the back. Not nice.
  • TomactypeX
    TomactypeX Posts: 1
    Is that the 27.5 or 29er?

eddiepj wrote:
    I went for an Ultra a couple of months back and also love it. :)

I was being tight and bought an ex magazine photo shoot test bike, so made a good saving, and I wasn't overly worried if it came with a couple of battle scars. Thankfully it didn't though, and only had a couple of marks on the pedal cranks. The only downside of the bike for me, is that by buying blind, I didn't get to try the bike in respect of frame size. I could have really done with the next size up, as the seat post is up on it's limit.
    The only mods so far, has been the fitting of a Muckynutz guard. The tyres will have to be changed at some stage soon though, as they are fighting for grip now that things have turned wet.
    Even if I had had to pay full price, I would still be thinking that it is a cracking bit of kit.

Whatever the choice, I firmly believe that KTM make a cracking good bike. :)

r4_zps1b0d7684.jpg

IMG_20141019_150927_zpsf17da1f2.jpg