H plus son sl42 advice please

Baracus
Baracus Posts: 32
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Can anyone help me please,
I have been looking to get a deep V set of alu wheels. It's strictly for the looks with me :)
Now I don't know much but I like the all black look of these wheels
Does anyone know if the black brake track rubs off after use, also what's the deal with the picking hubs, spokes and wheelbuilding malarkey? Can't I just buy the complete wheelset somewhere?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Lot's of decent wheelbuilders out there, Strada, Ugo, Paul Hewitt, Cycle clinic to name a few. They usually start with asking what you want the wheel for and your weight, avg speed, typical terrain, etc., and help you make a logical choice...which is often ignored by the punter who just wants the most bling wheel for the buck.

So, 42mm alu rims weighing 615g each, that will help you maintain momentum ( :wink: ), so if you want to build yourself just pick the right number of holes/hub to match your budget (Shimano normally only do 32 hole for things like DuraAce or Ultegra, etc.) and then spokes (guess you will want 'aero' to match the look). If you want to avoid too many choices then just get in touch with a builder (see above list) and tell them you have £300-£400 to spend and want to look like you are going fast using the sl42's and see what they come up with.
  • Yes it does rub off... no you can't buy them already built... however, Brick Lane Bikes, the distributor, also build them... I can't vouch for their builds as I have not had the privilege to see any... otherwise contact your local builder for a quote
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks a lot guys, it's a pity it rubs off though, they looked so damn cool

I guess I will contact one of those listed builders and take it from there, presenting me with all those options will just confuse the issue, I couldn't tell a good spoke from a toothpick
  • Baracus wrote:
    Thanks a lot guys, it's a pity it rubs off though, they looked so damn cool

I guess I will contact one of those listed builders and take it from there, presenting me with all those options will just confuse the issue, I couldn't tell a good spoke from a toothpick

THe SL 42 are oxen... if you are a light rider they're a bit OTT... if you are on the powerful side on the other hand... I have once built a rear one...

unnamed_zpse45cc54e.jpg
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Can you use a low spoke count due the stiffness and weight of these?

Matt
  • matt-h wrote:
    Can you use a low spoke count due the stiffness and weight of these?

Matt

'course you can, but 24 is the lowest spoke count they do