Torn between Charge Spoon/Scoop Seat

Sir.Swish
Sir.Swish Posts: 80
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
My friends all agree that the Charge Spoon is the must-have saddle but has anyone here bought the new 'Scoop' model?

Scoop seems to be around £15 more, Would like to purchase one of the two today but thought I'd ask for a 2nd opinion on here first
2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
1975 Vindec Vogue
1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

xX Forever in our hearts mum Xx

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have you actually tried either? It's no good buying whay your friends say is good if it doesn't fit your arse
  • I agree with Rockmonkey.

Well just if it helps, i bought a Spoon last week and im really impressed with it. I had a 3 hour ride on it offroad on a rigid bike, and it didnt hurt at all. The quality of it is really nice aswell. And the cromoly rail is good, as you wont be snapping it any time soon.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
  • I've sat on two of my mates spoons and my boney ar*e sits well, Is the stitching ever an issue on the spoon GT-Arrowhead? Pics look like the Scoop eliminates this. Just looked up the bel air- looks nice and it's the same price as the scoop
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• rockmonkeysc
    I use a Spoon on my xc bike and if you're sure it fits then it's ok. I have bent a few, the rails are quite weak. I just keep buying them because they fit my fat ass.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Spoon on both my MTB's and my road bike as they work for me, they do take a few rides to break in a bit, they stand up to some abuse too. Never had a problem with the stitching myself so I don't see much benefit in paying extra for the Scoop.
  • Sir.Swish wrote:
    I've sat on two of my mates spoons and my boney ar*e sits well, Is the stitching ever an issue on the spoon GT-Arrowhead? Pics look like the Scoop eliminates this. Just looked up the bel air- looks nice and it's the same price as the scoop

Ive only used them on one ride for 3 hours so obviously nothings gone wrong with it. It does look well made though as i said, so it should be okay.

Rockmonkey, howd you managed to bend several cromo rails?
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have had both, and neither worked for me, but between the two I preferred the scoop. It looks sharper and was marginally more comfortable for me. Unfortunately for me I have always struggled with saddles. I will probably end up fitting a spesh toupe like I use on my road bike!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I have both. Same shape, scoop is ever so slightly lighter, I actually prefer the look of the spoon. They feel the same to sit on. I cant comment on how tough the scoop is because its on my road bike so doesnt get crashed but both my spoons have come away from big hits with no damage.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Sir.Swish wrote:
    I've sat on two of my mates spoons and my boney ar*e sits well, Is the stitching ever an issue on the spoon GT-Arrowhead? Pics look like the Scoop eliminates this. Just looked up the bel air- looks nice and it's the same price as the scoop

Ive only used them on one ride for 3 hours so obviously nothings gone wrong with it. It does look well made though as i said, so it should be okay.

Rockmonkey, howd you managed to bend several cromo rails?

The cromo rails aren't particularly strong, it's just cheap steel tube.
    I have bent two in crashes and one I just noticed was bent one day. My current one is a bit crooked.
    I have also bent my Nukeproof saddle with ti rails but that also involved me getting knocked out and a couple broken ribs when I crashed in a fast and nasty rock garden.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've got Spoons on all my bikes. Bent the rails once but I also ended up in hospital, so can't really blame the saddle.
    I have a new one in my stash as well, and when they are no longer available I'll try a Scoop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Charge knife, I think is a good saddle and a reasonable weight.
    Yetitribe
  • I've ordered a scoop from Victoria Bikes on ebay for £34 so we'll see how it fairs. If it's no good then you guys have given me plenty of options if I need to change it
    2015 Giant Glory 1 27.5
    1975 Vindec Vogue
    1968 Raleigh RSW "Boris"

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If the Spoon fits you then the Madison Flux is the same saddle too, but with anti scuff material on the sides (not available in colours though).

DSC_8919800x532_zpsec7f7b45.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The base is the same, but the padding is different. I don't find them as comfortable, but it might be all in my mind.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    cooldad wrote:
    The base is the same, but the padding is different. I don't find them as comfortable, but it might be all in my mind.

Yeah, the Flux is slightly softer, apparently, but they're essentially the same saddle, from the same factory. If I get a new one for my Kraken I can't decide whether to buy another Flux or swap this one over onto the Kraken and buy a black and green Spoon to try on the Boardman.
  • I fitted a Charge Scoop to my Bizango a week or so ago, unfortunately I have only managed to get out on it twice since then but my arse was much less sore than when I had the Voodoo saddle in it's place.

When I first fitted the Scoop I worried it would be too hard but so far so good. The Voodoo saddle had very soft padding and left me walking like John Wayne for a day or so after a ride.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Been riding them both for a while, I prefer the scoop, but I wouldnt spend the extra unless I didnt have anything better to spend it on.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • If the Spoon fits you then the Madison Flux is the same saddle too, but with anti scuff material on the sides (not available in colours though).

DSC_8919800x532_zpsec7f7b45.jpg

Thats near enough identical to the Spoon. Even the font on the rails is the same.
  • stuisnew
    stuisnew Posts: 366
    Have had spoons and a flux, actually preferred the flux but so nearly identical think it was in mind.
    Have bought a scoop as wiggle had the bright orange ones for £7. Not sure it will go very well on my bike but it was cheap so it's with my spare parts