Confused :S Gear ratios?

7448stewart
7448stewart Posts: 79
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
to start I know how to ride but am now venturing into upgrading and uderstanding more about my bike and how it works, rather than just getting on my bike and going out for a ride. So I have a Cube LTD race 29er and know that it has a 10speed derailer but I dont fully understand the terminology of the speeds and ratios of my gears. If there is already a topice explaining all this then just say coz I cant fined it but if not a little help plz?

Comments

• Big cogs at rear = easier to pedal. Big cogs at front equal = harder to pedal. Shouldn't a budding pro understand that?
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Sheldon Brown has a 'calculator' - but basically your gear is "number of teeth on your front chainring" divided by "number of teeth on your rear sprocket" time "size of your wheel".

So if you have a 32 tooth front ring driving a 16 tooth rear sprocket then the effective gearing is 32/16 = 2 which makes a 29 inch wheel drive an effective 58 inch gear. One turn of the pedals will drive two turns of the rear sprocket, so your rear wheel will turn twice (that's the 32/16 = 2) which would be like direct-driving a 58 inch wheel (your 58 inch gear).

A 10 speed has 10 different rear sprockets, giving 10 different gears for each front chainring. If you have 1 chainring you have 10 gears; 2 chainrings gives you 20 gears and 3 chainrings gives you 30... but the 2x10 and 3x10 gear ranges will overlap significantly.

p4pb6431703.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • thanks very much bartimaeus! makes sence now, and thanks for the comment chunker1980 but if you read the post correctly you would know that I already know what you said and I was asking about the more spacific aspects of it all you dumb ass! If you havnt got anything helpfull and only hurtfull things to say then keep stun! Peace out :p
  • I can assure you, you are the dumb ass. Your posts are littered with Scopeyness
  • Scopeyness? Is that even a word? Any way cheers for your contribution to humanity, but as I said before if your not going to be helpful then just keep quiet plz! :p