Tyres with cut sidewalls

alwaysOTB
alwaysOTB Posts: 151
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Just taken off a tyre with a ~5mm cut clear through the sidewall. Otherwise it is in great condition, so seems silly to throw it away. Is it possible to mend it somehow? Have tried a tyre boot previously but they don't seem to work well except as a get-me-home solution.

Comments

• try sticking a few layers of gaffer tape on the inside... it won't stick initially, but once inflated the tube will push it in place nicely and it will then stay there. It's pretty effective and can take high pressure
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tubeless tyre patches are reinforced with a mesh and will be a more, long-lasting solution.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Tubeless tyre patches are reinforced with a mesh and will be a more, long-lasting solution.

Can you recommend any Monty? Are the Velox ones OK?
    left the forum March 2023
  • i had the same problem with my mountain bike after a rock sliced into them i know there not as high pressure!
    my fix was a chocolate wrapper and loads of shoogoo to keep to water out!

i first put the wrapper inside the tire to stop the inner tube from bubbling out then i put some shoo goo on and waited and did this a few times and then pumped it up and kept applying till there was enough to hold it and never had any problems since done plenty of rough riding and jumps too!
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    Maybe not so much an issue if you ride at the speed of a granny but otherwise not worth the risk of a blow out at high speed. I'd bin it