How to stop tailgate racks from scratching paintwork...

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I was just wondering how you guys go about protecting your cars paintwork with a tailgate rack? I'm looking at buying a Saris bones 3 as it looks the least likely to damage paint and seems to get not too bad reviews.

I was thinking of putting some kind of thick soft cloth around the frames of the bikes but I'm more concerned about the car.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Stick some copter tape where the rack will rub or get a towbar fitted and suitable rack.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I'm trying to keep the rack as small and as cheap as possible.

A towbar ain't cheap, either is the towbar bike rack :-( ... Something I would consider in the future though
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • Remove rack.
    Put bikes in boot.

I used soft cloth before, still took the paint off.
  • Yes but there isn't always just one bike. I have to be able to take my girlfriends also when we go away places.
  • What car do you have?
    I can get 2 DH bikes, a tent, and enough camping and riding gear for a week in my 206...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get a sh1t car. Works for me.

(Mine either go inside, or a roof rack if I'm going away and need to carry stuff.)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I have a corsa D. But i also don't want the inside to be all muddy. I like a clean car haha

Think I'm gonna take a look at that copter tape :-) ... And wash the boot beforehand also :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I got a huge tarpaulin off Ebay for a few quid, fills my whole boot (hatchback), and folds back over a couple of bikes. I also have an old duvet to pad things out.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have a corsa D. But i also don't want the inside to be all muddy. I like a clean car haha

Think I'm gonna take a look at that copter tape :-) ... And wash the boot beforehand also :-)

Dont be gay?

Buy a portable jet wash thingy?

Dont be gay?

Did I suggest not being gay?

Apologies for the use of the term gay - I am not homophobic it just happens to be the term I was brought up using in such instances.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    I have the Saris Bones 3... The 6 hooks are covered in a softish plastic which doesn't seem to scratch. The racks feet are a hard rubber, providing you make sure the rack is secure, i.e. doesn't move, and the feet and where they make contact with the car are clean then they shouldn't damage your paintwork.

The key is to keep it all clean and strapped up tight so it doesn't move, the moment it moves its going to rub and damage. If you are really worried put some medium density foam rubber pads under the feet but also keep them clean.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a Bones 3 on my old Passat. The plastic feet do mark paint. I found that putting a rag under the feet solved the problem.