Sunglasses....

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm after a set of sunglassess for winter use to replace some old cheap ones I've been using. I've got some Jawbones that I use for summer best, but they are a bit prone to fogging when it's wet and I don't really want to ruin the lenses by using them on gritty wet roads all winter.

I'd love some Radars, but don't really want to pay that price.

Can anyone recommend some decent glasses with a high quality lens in a fairly open style?

Swappable lenses or something good for.low light.

What's the lowest price point for transitions / adaptable lenses?

Comments

• wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    Can I be cheeky here and ask if anyone can recommend sunglasses I could use for Skiing and cycling. I am fearful of light getting in the bottom of the frames in the snow. Thanks.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Tifosi.

Most look like Oakley anyway and are pretty cheap.
  • You could try sunwise glasses they have a range of styles and interchangeable lenses and descent price with flatish arms to go under the helmet.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    Salice do cycle and ski

http://www.salice.co.uk/

I have 006, very pleased with them no fogging issues and look cool too.

pinot_salice006.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • These are all you will ever need - £19.99 with 4 interchangeable lenses.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/griffith-pac ... 73630.html
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • I have a couple of pairs of Endura Spectrums.

My favourite are he yellow although they are rubbish if you get any spray on them, but they are great in the winter sun.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Milese wrote:

I'd love some Radars, but don't really want to pay that price.

Yep, you are right, you would love the Radars :wink:

Does not sound like they are completely unaffordable so I think you should treat yourself and get The Radar Photochromic's.

Do not think you will regret it and your eyes have got to be worth the expense of the extra protection.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,643
    +1 for Endura Spectrum, cheap and stylish.
  • milese
    Thanks for replies.

Looked at some Tifosi in my LBS earlier, and Oakleys they are not. Very unimpressed to be honest.
  • Anonymous
    Milese wrote:

Looked at some Tifosi in my LBS earlier, and Oakleys they are not.

Of course they are not. They would have had 'Oakley' written on them, and not 'Tifosi' if they were :lol:

You are going to buy the Oakleys aren't you? :P
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Rudy Project Rydon, with red laser photochromatic lens. I've used mine on nigh rides and in bright sunshine, they've been perfect across the spectrum. I don't get any fogging issues and the lenses are hard as nails.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    Rudy Project Rydon, with red laser photochromatic lens. I've used mine on nigh rides and in bright sunshine, they've been perfect across the spectrum. I don't get any fogging issues and the lenses are hard as nails.

These!
  • milese
    These:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rudy-project-ry ... hotolaser/

Or whats the difference with these, just the lens shade or more to it?:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rudy-project-ry ... to-lenses/

or:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rudy-project-ry ... 5360352877

Anyway, the Mrs will kill me if I spend >£100 on another pair of glasses.......
  • Anonymous
    Milese wrote:
    Mrs will kill me if I spend >£100 on another pair of glasses

Then get the £99.99 Oakley photochromics ( :wink: ) on amazon flash deal ( :wink: ) and everyone is happy :P

They are selling Edge 500's for £89.99 so its feasible the Oakleys are £99.99 :wink: 8) :wink: 8) :wink:

Do not want to knock the Rudys but they are way over £100 anyway so its not much extra if you prefer the Oakleys.
    They are a very different design so doesn't it boil down to which type you like rather than cost?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sell the jawbones and buy the radars. I have them both - the radars are by far the better glasses.
  • Salice 006 are great glasses. I love mine
  • Milese wrote:
    Thanks for replies.

Looked at some Tifosi in my LBS earlier, and Oakleys they are not. Very unimpressed to be honest.

If you were looking at them expecting to be holding a pair of Oakleys then of course you were unimpressed. There is no difference in the lens technologies, the only difference is the contribution you make to Oakley's marketing fund.

I have a few different pairs of Tifosis and love all of them. Interchangeable lenses so it doesn't matter if it's night or day, I can put a tinted or clear lens in.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    You cannot use same sunglasses for cycling and skiing. Skiing glasses need to be darker and protect against glare off snow. Wearing those on a bike you may as well stick a bag over your head - first tunnel or dappled sunshine through trees and you won't see a thing.
  • Dombo6 wrote:
    You cannot use same sunglasses for cycling and skiing. Skiing glasses need to be darker and protect against glare off snow. Wearing those on a bike you may as well stick a bag over your head - first tunnel or dappled sunshine through trees and you won't see a thing.

So you never have low light conditions on the ski slopes? :wink:
  • milese
    I've ordered the photochromic Radar's. Found them for £123 which wasnt as bad as I thought for a product that I know I'll be happy with.

Not told the wife yet...
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Dombo6 wrote:

So you never have low light conditions on the ski slopes? :wink:

Often, so you switch to goggles with hi-contrast lenses,eg yellow, orange to help pick out the terrain :D
  • You can find some great deal in DX.com :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Milese wrote:
    I've ordered the photochromic Radar's. Found them for £123 which wasnt as bad as I thought for a product that I know I'll be happy with.

Not told the wife yet...

Ha ha, knew you would get the Oakleys :wink:
    I absolutely love mine and hope you do yours.

£123 is a bargain for what you get imo. You only set one pair of eyes so worth looking after them.
  • Anonymous
    JediBiker wrote:
    You can find some great deal in DX.com :wink:

How do you figure fake sunglasses being a good deal?

Not sure you can even get fake photochromics can you?
  • milese
    Really pleased with the radars.

Can wear them in the dark or the sun and everything inbetween.

I'd not noticed the photochromic working before ad they are put on and forget, bit at a cafe stop this weekend I left them on a table part in the sun and part in the shade, then put them on and noticed a line in the lense where part had adapted and part hadn't. It's really clever technology, I don't really know why people spend so much on most Oakley options to have lenses only perfectly suited to a narrow range of conditions. The photochronics really seem like they will do it all very well.
  • Anonymous
    Glad you like them ;-)

It is so nice not having to think about what lens to put in at this time of year.
    I have quite sun sensitive eyes and have found the photochromics work very well.

Would not rule out other lenses for different conditions though and the new locking system will make swapping a doddle.
    Will not be much need for photochromics on a really sunny day and some polarised ones etc. might be a better option.