Stretching the dropouts

lackofgrip
lackofgrip Posts: 851
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I have an old Ribble 7005sl frame which I am making into a fixed gear bike. The wheels I'm buying are 135mm hub width but the bike is 130mm would I be able to squeeze these in or would I be better off finding a wheelset with exact width match?

I'm pondering a few rear wheels but am also concerned about the dropouts not being wide enough.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You could take a spacer off the axle and get the wheel re-dished.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    You could take a spacer off the axle and get the wheel re-dished.

Balls to that easier to buy a 130 wheel

Would this be ok??

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/700c-(622)-rear-36h-unbranded-road-wheel-with-screw-on-freewheel-black-prod26599/
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Chainline will be an issue probably with that wheel and if you're going fixed. How are you going to get the correct chain tension, horizontal dropouts on your frame? A chain tensioner won't work on fixed. One option is a cassette wheel and a Surly Fixxer which will give you a 130OLN wheel.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Chainline will be an issue probably with that wheel and if you're going fixed. How are you going to get the correct chain tension, horizontal dropouts on your frame? A chain tensioner won't work on fixed. One option is a cassette wheel and a Surly Fixxer which will give you a 130OLN wheel.

For chain tension I was thinking this :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gusset-Bachel ... 2ec76e852e

For wheels the only problem is the width I can only seem to find 120mm or 135mm hubs. With 120mm I suppose I could fit a 2.5 spacer at each side but as regards 135mm I don't know if I could stretch the frame to accommodate it with the stays being aluminium.

The only wheel thats 130mm is this one: -
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-Speed- ... 416fc81142

Unless I get a wheel with 120mm spacing and machine two 2.5mm spacers

I was thinking the above tensioner would work with a half link chain?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You can't use a chain tensioner for fixed. Fine for single speed but not fixed.

You seem to be trying to make this build as difficult as possible by buying all the wrong bits and bodging them!
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    You can't use a chain tensioner for fixed. Fine for single speed but not fixed.

You seem to be trying to make this build as difficult as possible by buying all the wrong bits and bodging them!

Ok no problem. Single speed it will have to be then.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Don't try bending an aluminium frame if you want it to last a long time. If you want to run a fixed gear, about your only option would be a wheel with a White ENO eccentric hub otherwise it's a singlespeed converter kit on a regular rear wheel.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Don't try bending an aluminium frame if you want it to last a long time. If you want to run a fixed gear, about your only option would be a wheel with a White ENO eccentric hub otherwise it's a singlespeed converter kit on a regular rear wheel.

Decided just to get a proper frame, the Planet X Pompino.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,319
    Fixie = crime. Bend the bloody thing and see what happens. Remember to post pics of the aftermath.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fixie = crime. Bend the bloody thing and see what happens. Remember to post pics of the aftermath.

Pictures of the broken bike, crash-scene or the bloody aftermath? ;-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..