Giant P-SL2 tyres: any good?

nigglenoo
nigglenoo Posts: 177
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
(Asked about these on the CTC forum and got no response which presumably means they are somwhat rare, but anyway here goes.)

I have found these lightweight folding tyres being sold for an attractive price so am wondering how they compare with other similar tyres, e.g. Vittoria Rubino Pros. Bike Radar gave them a complimentary review for whatever that is worth :wink:http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -11-44448/

If anyone does use them I would also really like to know how they 'size up' on a given rim width as my current tyres are nominally 28mm Rubinos, which actually measure 26mm, with clearance at about the minimum acceptable, so I will have problems with a genuine 28mm wide tyre. The P-SL2 comes in '25mm' or '28mm' flavours. It also comes in different compounds for front or rear which is intriguing.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    edited January 2014
    I have a front specific 700x25c P-SLR2 tyre fitted to my Giant Defy. Size wise it is 25.1mm wide and 24.5 tall, used with a specialized 700x20/28 PV tube at 80 p.s.i. fitted to a Giant P-R2 rim. Only done 200 mainly dry miles, couple of wet rides and think the tyre is comfortable and grips the road well, it has a softer compound than the rear equivalent tyre.

Cannot comment on the rear tyre though as I found it impossible to fit to the aforementioned rim so sent it back for a refund. If you want to try them check Rutland cycling's website they may still have them in stock.
  • nigglenoo
    DJ58 wrote:
    I have a front specific 700x25c P-SLR2 tyre fitted to my Giant Defy. Size wise it is 25.1mm wide and 24.5 tall, used with a specialized 700x20/28 PV tube at 80 p.s.i. fitted to a Giant P-R2 rim. Only done 200 mainly dry miles, couple of wet rides and think the tyre is comfortable and grips the road well, it has a softer compound than the rear equivalent tyre.

Cannot comment on the rear tyre though as I found it impossible to fit to the aforementioned rim so sent it back for a refund. If you want to try them check Rutlandland cycling's website they may still have them in stock.
    Hi and thanks for your detailed measurements, it was the Rutland Cycles offer I was looking at: I have ordered a rear to see how I like it.
  • dj58
    Hi nigglenoo, your welcome.

Just realised that you asked about the P-SL2 which I think is the wire bead version of the P-SLR2 which is the folding bead version. The tyre compounds are the same from what I can gather, though different between the front (softer for grip), and rear (harder for less wear/rolling resistance).
  • nigglenoo
    It is definitely described as a folding tyre/kevlar bead in the BR review I linked to and also on the Rutland Cycles web page: http://www.rutlandcycling.com/110377/pr ... 0x28c.aspx
  • dj58
    Yes you are quite correct about that, it is the P-R3 tyre that is wire beaded, apologies for any confusion. :)
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I have some PSL-1s and I find them a bit lacking in cornering grip. Had them on my summer bike and swapped them out for pro4s. I am now using the P-SL1s on my winter geared bike but don't feel as solid as I do with my usual Schwalbe duranos. I wont be getting another set when they wear out. They do seems to have little rolling resistance though so fly along if you haven't got any corners to worry about and it is dry.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • nigglenoo
    The tyre came last night and I fitted it without any problem at all, no need for levers. It is the 28mm rear version and looks good value for £10.74 posted. It weighs 270g and appears to be a genuine 28mm mounted on my rim (fortunately clearance is OK on close inspection). The tyre is marked as 60 tpi and the sidewall feels quite supple to me, similar to the removed Rubino Pro.

For comparison a Vittoria Rubino Pro is 150tpi and weighs 245g in 28mm width, but is actually 26mm wide on my rim and costs £20, or a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro is a 60tpi folder for £16, but weighs 290g in 28mm, and I suspect will be 26mm actual width like the Rubino...

I have not ridden the P-SL2 yet as this is not my regular commuting bike but my weekend ride Genesis Equilibrium, I will hopefully be able to comment on ride qualitiy etc. by Sunday evening if the weather cooperates...