Quick bash guard poll

alexthebear
alexthebear Posts: 349
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Want a 36t bash guard, don't want to spend much over £30-40 what you all running?

2nd thing, Red, black or white on this?
1A4A6E63-162C-4D3C-A58D-3196926B8801_zps2ndpieku.jpg

Muchos grassy ass for any replies on what is probably the 353rd post on this subject

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Black Race Face. Your bike has the perfect amount of red and white as it is :)

I don't use one on my current bike
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    CRC have some nice black MRP guards.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gamut, nice and light and subtle, oh and it was free as well!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Are you just removing the outer ring and still running the 32/22 on your chainset in a 2x10 setup? If so you want a 32/34 bash ring. Ask me how I know this!! I bought a 36 and the chain rattled off it like a good un running 32/22 rings. Drove me mad! If your going 1x10 with a 36T ring up front you need a 36.

Sold the red Hope 36 bash I had and bought a RaceFace 32 in black via eGay. Running a 2x9 32/22 11-32 setup.

IMG_2395_zps68ed87e8.jpg

IMG_2596_zpsc3e560e6.jpg

Running a Truvativ on my winter bike (2x8 setup. 32/22 11-30)

IMG_2622_zps5158a6cb.jpg

The law says black!!!!

Corners
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I use a black hope flavour, with red chain bolts, I find them too big to have a bright colour like red!
  • Cheers for the help guys you have sorted me right out on this one

@ CitizenLee - Black with red pedals it is then :wink: oh and I'm loosing the white cable housing

@ RockmonkeySC - good call but I'm swaying towards either a Gamut, Truvativ or Blackspire as I prefer the smooth finish to them, I'll decide on price probably as I'm spending out on a few bits at the mo, think I'm funding the CRC Christmas party this year :lol:

@ The Rookie - That is exactly what I'm looking for, love it :mrgreen:

@ Corners - Those pics were the decider thanks, I'm soooooooooo glad I asked before buying coz the red would have been sent straight back!!!! I'm actually going to be running a 2x9 22/36 at the front, run it before and prefered it over the 32t as I do quite a few XC miles with a guy on a carbon Zaskar and although I'm never gonna catch him it does make a difference

@ Russyh - bleeding love the idea of coloured bolts!!!! You got any pics? I'm thinking either red or white bolts as the bash quite clearly HAS to be black :) is this concidered being anal? lol
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Not best pic mate, would of taken a better one for you but this is all i had and i will be going to the pub shortly

p4pb10435866.jpg
  • Russyh wrote:
    Not best pic mate, would have taken a better one for you but this is all i had and i will be going to the pub shortly

p4pb10435866.jpg

Have one on me coz that is great thanks, looks awesome!!!!
  • Found this- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROCK-RING-cha ... 1c3a7f6409 might be worth a punt for £18? Add some red or white bolts and could look nice
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Another option would be a carbon fibre one, I made my inner guide ring from a piece of 2mm CF bought off ebay, for a lightweight bash then 3mm would be strong, light, and bling.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Another option would be a carbon fibre one, I made my inner guide ring from a piece of 2mm CF bought off ebay, for a lightweight bash then 3mm would be strong, light, and bling.

As much as I'm sure yours looks great I am less inclined to attempt this myself. I have done plenty of bodge jobs in the last 12yrs as a builder, I'm not going to start doing any on my pride and joy :lol:
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    +1 on the Hope. I have 3 bikes with SLX cranks. Two have a hope bash and the third has the standard SLX (which is functional, but ugly and heavy)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I bought mine because it said Kona.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I'm thinking of buying the one above because it says nothing, oh and I'm a tight mofo and it's cheap

BUT then I do like the Hope and Truvativ offerings, think I'm just gonna get drunk and make the desicion then because that always works :mrgreen:
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Mine is a 'Fuse' - it was free from a mate.
    DSCN7206-Copy_zps7ad112d8.jpg
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Bartimaeus wrote:
    Mine is a 'Fuse' - it was free from a mate.

Oh yeah I forgot to add to my OP, if anyone would like to be my new friend and send me a bash guard I am always grateful for freebies....... I mean new friends :shock:
  • Ok so got pretty drunk last night and have just found out I bought a 36t deore chainring in black from CRC for the grand total of a tenner and an FSA Gravity bash in black :mrgreen: for £18 so pretty please with the drunk me right now :lol:

Thanks for all your help I'll add photos as soon as they turn up, now let's all get drunk and eat turkey!!!!! Merry Christmas :D
  • For all that helped with this one cheers and here's the promised pic, so glad I went for black. Bought some red chainring bolts but their to short, anyone point me in the direction of some red chainring bolts that fit a bash and don't cost over a tenner? Ta

Also loving the 2x9 with 36t middle, still need the granny at the moment as I'm soooooo unfit!!!!!
    884C9C72-F718-458E-956F-3B826F8DEFA1_zps2n6khtmh.jpg
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    I wouldnt mind being able to fond some colourd charinring bolts too as im running my blackspire bash guard and want some coloured bolt for it!! :(
  • Dawesy92 wrote:
    I wouldnt mind being able to fond some colourd charinring bolts too as im running my blackspire bash guard and want some coloured bolt for it!! :(

Looking for 15mm bolts and getting nowt so gonna give up for now as their not exactly essential at the mo, if you find any gimme a shout please