Back problems?

jmaccyd
jmaccyd Posts: 17
edited December 2013 in Cyclocross
Coming to the end of the CX season and my back is one factor that limits my performance, So, thinking of the off season, the summer, one of my goal for imporvement is to improve my 'core stability' hopefully leading to less lower back problems. What do other riders who have CX as their main focus do in the summer to aid this. I was thinking of 3 x GYM classes a week with circuit training, kettle bells, and maybe an 'easier' yoga activity or two. I have tried pilates but found it made my back worse.

Any other things worth a go?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    head over to the training forum - there is a new book which many have recommended, can't remember the name of it. Having said that, if you have a physiological issue relating to your back, then the first thing to do would be to get it diagnosed...
  • Yes I think I have that book its just come out and is aimed at cyclists. My back is generally fine, but it is a limiting factor in some of my races, especially those that require a lot of seated 'power' riding and sometimes when I want to do a double race weekend. Anyone had good results from classes? Something called TRX training is also at my local GYM involving suspension training (oh.. er!)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    jmaccyd wrote:
    My back is generally fine, but it is a limiting factor in some of my races,

So it's not 'fine' then....?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My back has got progressively worse over the years and I need to work harder at the gym to keep myself in good condition. I've also taken up flatwater kayak racing as it really works your core. It's down to a combination of both flexibility and strength - I do a couple of circuit training sessions a week, plus some Body Pump sessions. Worth getting someone to develop a programme for you to make sure you're working the right muscle groups. CX is typified by really short, hard intervals so really works your quads, hamstrings and core.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • My lower back was really giving me trouble this time last year, but now after spending some time on strengthening my core, back and working on flexibility, especially hamstrings it's not an issue. CX seems to really show it up. If you're putting out power in the legs that your back can't handle it'll really hurt. Like a car with an engine too powerful for its chassis, I guess.

As Monty says, definitely worth talking to someone knowledgeable as they can help tailor a program. Now that I'm on top of mine a relatively simple 15 minute stretch routine 2-3 times a week plus a 30-40 minute core session once a week keeps it all in check. The key for me was to really stick at it initially to get over the worst problems. The maintenance of good condition is actually less effort than the remedial period.

The woman who helped me is called Jo McRae http://jomcrae.co.uk/ She's excellent.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would get your back properly checked as the cause determines the cure. Some conditions cannot be treated without intervention and physio therapy like the painful shoulder injury I had. Once I finished physio it was pretty much as good as before and I can road or mountain bike for hours with no issues. Without professional treatment my injury would never had got better.