Scott Genius MC20 rebuild help needed

vic1945
vic1945 Posts: 11
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am in the process of rebuilding a Scott Genius MC20 aluminium bike after purchasing the bare frame, the work is almost complete but I need a crankset and bottom bracket and to be honest I haven't got a damn clue what to aim for.

These are the specs I have so far installed on the frame

SHIMANO DEORE LX FD-M570 9-SPEED FRONT DERAILLEUR, E-TYPE...
SHIMANO DEORE DUAL CONTROL STI 9 SPD SHIFTERS HYDRAULIC D...
Sunrace Screw-On Bike - Mtb Freewheel - Cog - Sprocket/8 speed
Shimano Sora rear derailleur 8/9 speed

If any of you guys out there can help it would be much appreciated.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What wheel do you have, a screw on freewheel isn't something found on proper mountain bikes, and won't fit onto a proper MTB wheel and won't install on a frame! the shifters you have won't work on anything but a nine speed so won't work with the freewheel, also a Sora is a road me and not suited to a mountain bike cassette. You need a rapid rise rear mech anyway to go with the ST shifters, a conventional mech makes gear changing a nightmare.

You need to measure the width of the bottom bracket shell, I suspect it is 73mm, you then need one of a massive choice of BBs and cranksets that will suite, at the front 8,9 and 10 speed cranksets will all work with a 9 speed rear.

To be honest you appear to have bitten off a lot for someone with a little knowledge, if you are buying new this wil cost you a fortune.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Rookie, your reply does help immensely to put me straight. I had no idea things could be so complicated as they are with the synchronization set up, and it takes a pro like yourself to make things a lot clearer for me to understand. My first option is to get a new wheel and a composite rear derailleur and 9 speed cassette, I'm not sure I can handle the bottom bracket/crankset without going to my local bike shop. It would be more helpful if an owner of a Scott Genius MC20 bike could tell me what original bottom bracket/crankset they have installed on their frame, it would greatly simplify the steps I need to take.
  • The Rookie
    See link in my sig, my son has the very similar RC20, as standard they use a Shimano hollowtech2 setup, the RC20 used an XT as standard, but you could use any you like from Deore to XTR depending on budget.

If you just have the lever units you will need some Shimano callipers and hoses (genuine or copy, I used Alero to rebuild the brakes off the RC20), all Shimano will be compatible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Rookie, I've just had a look at your link and it makes terrific reading, your son must be very proud of you and vice versa for the combined interests. Personally I would like to kidnap you for a couple of hours but of course that's not possible (sigh), however you have unlocked my brain and I can proceed with more confidence with the facts you have provided.

Although I'm 68 years old one likes to feel age is just a number and no bar to the odd thrill of feeling youthful, which I envisage would come to fruition when I whistle down some offbeat tracks in the near future. Thanks so much for being here to help, it makes this forum a great place to visit.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And you're very welcome. Finally someone older than me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Your turn will come, be patient!!
  • The Rookie
    It's OK you're only just older than him, but a lot older than me.........

The best thing is to use this buying advice forum and the workshop forum for each part to make sure you get the right one and fit it right, that or start a thread in the 'Your Mountain Bike' forum so we know the bike! do you know what year yours is?
  • Wow, Cooldad is a bone shaker like myself, I'm feeling better already.lol

Not exactly sure but I would say the frame is of the 2006 era, could post pictures if I knew how to do it keeping the normal aspect and not shrinking the images. I'll certainly have a look at the buying advice forum to see how it is run, sounds promising to hear other peoples opinions on what they purchased for their bikes.
  • The Rookie
    Use an external image host like photobucket and then use the image code it provides for forum and paste it into your post, if you quote a post with images (like mine) it will show you the raw code entered.
  • [url=Thttp://s1371.photobucket.com/user/victor194570/media/_123_zpsca4b6a65.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1]Thttp://s1371.photobucket.com/user/vict ... sort=3&o=1[/url] his is the picture of my frame, got it for £160 on eBay which I thought was quite reasonable.
  • Damn, that link doesn't work. What do you think I done wrong Rookie?
  • The Rookie
    You have used a URL not an image link, click on the tool (looks like a gear wheel) icon in the corner of a pic, click get links and then click on the forum image link and it will copy automatically to the clipboard.
  • Merry Christmas Cooldad & Rookie.

Heres a cool tip if you ever get hydraulic brake squeaks, rub a little talcum powder on the rotors it worked for me.

Here is my Scott Genius MC20 frame.

_123_zpse5ccf3f5.jpg~original

This is some of the rebuild I have done.

IMAG0079_zps3fc03882.jpg~original
    IMAG0081_zpsf33c911a.jpg~original
    IMAG0082_zps9dab4cfb.jpg~original
    IMAG0083_zps5038d8f3.jpg~original
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is the mirror on the bars so you can touch up your make up after a ride?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yeah, I took them off my zimmer frame.lol
  • The Rookie
    You ideally need a rapid rise rear mech as pushing down on the lever to change down while braking isn't really feasible.

Not sure I'd use a 120mm FS frame for a commuter though!
  • @ The Rookie

Well, I never knew the difference between rapid rise and low rise derailleur's or the benefits, so your little gem of info is much appreciated mate. As a matter of frame suitability my rides are not constrained, I like the off beaten trails and lets face it the roads are no safe place to let your hair down with a juggernaut up your rear.

To me cycling is a fun and easy way to stay fit, you get to know all sorts of people and a fantastic day can be had for little effort. I'll never be a Chris Boardman that's for sure but I'll be a fan of cycling with high spirits, that's what I live for.
  • The Rookie
    Enjoying it is the main thing!