The Single Malt thread!

13»

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Garry H wrote:
    Slightly offtopic, but what's the big deal with Johnnie Walker? Why's it held in such high esteem, expeciall in China and Japan?
    It's good for mixing with things like honey, coke, lemon etc (in fact, anything that disguises its taste), and it's relatively cheap.

They were my thoughts exactly. However, some bottles go fo thousands of pounds.
  • PBNinja
    PBNinja Posts: 44
    I'm a fan of Jack Daniels Single barrel.

Recently bought the Sinatra ltd edition, won't open it unless it's a really special occasion. Cost me £145 quid.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Whoever made a hot toddy with single malt above should be burned at the stake, or at least made to forfeit their entire stock of single malt to me.
    No! I refuse.
    I did make a hot toddy using a single malt once as it was all I had.
    Damned fine it was too. An over expensive splurge obviously but so much nicer.
    In fact, I have treated myself to a few since.

Back on the Burns topic, it will be Grouse as it is at a function where they do Grouse at the table for £20 a bottle.

Prior and after at home, at will be an Aberlour A'Bunadh.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Slightly offtopic, but what's the big deal with Johnnie Walker? Why's it held in such high esteem, expeciall in China and Japan?
    It's good for mixing with things like honey, coke, lemon etc (in fact, anything that disguises its taste), and it's relatively cheap.

Depends on the colour, never had above the black but I imagine there is a gulf in quality between red and blue
  • pt123
    pt123 Posts: 3
    A Jura 10 year old is a very tasty dram.
    Incredibly smooth if served as it should be with just a drop of room temperature water in a thistle glass,,,,

I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Garry H wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Depends on the colour, never had above the black but I imagine there is a gulf in quality between red and blue

certainly is, but it still felt strange drinking JW at that price.

As far as China and Japan, when I was there I put it down to brand recognition as a result of good marketing. However going on a tasting session in a decent bar in Tokyo and showing them some better ones was fun with the Japanese.
  • Most of you whisky lovers probably already know this but some industry facts for those who don't...

Prior to the 1970's there weren't many single malts on the market. Glenfiddich, Macallan, Dalmore, and a small number of others. The distilleries of course were there but they just produced whisky which went into blends. Around late 70's - early 80's an increasing number of distilleries picked up on the changing market demands and began re-branding themselves as single malt producers. Same distilleries, same whisky, different marketing. It was a gradual transition so following the re-branding as single malt the distillery would be producing whisky for both single malt market and blending market. As the market for higher value single malt grew less was diverted for blending until, in most cases, all of the whisky was for the single malt market. The 'product' became not only the whisky but the distillery and its heritage, all bundled up and marketed as one.

A blended whisky will contain between 40 & 60 different whiskies.

Single Malt whisky is made from 100% malted barley as the starch source. Grain whisky uses mostly wheat or maize, with a small amount of malted barley. The malted barley used for that is different to the malted barley used for single malts. Single malts uses barley varieties with low Nitrogen content. Grain malts use varieties with high N content. The reason for this is that the high N is actually used for its enzyme content. That enzyme breaks down the wheat/maize starch into sugars for making alcohol. The reason wheat/maize is used is that it is a good bit cheaper than malted barley. A malt distillery only produces whisky (think of this as a marketing thing, what it actually produces is spirit which becomes whisky. Due to high value of single malt whisky it is all made into whisky). A grain distillery produces neutral spirit. This can be made into vodka, gin, aftershock, other things, or whisky. It becomes whisky only once matured for min 3 years in a barrel. The barrels are what gives the whisky much of its flavour and old bourbon, brandy, etc barrels are used.

All whiskies have 5 main aromas, which are recognised by the industry. Honey, almond, cinnamon, vanilla, antiseptic (most often referred to as TSP smell). The ratio of these aromas distinguishes between different brands. They will always all be there to some extent though.

I don't work in a distillery but I do work for an industry involved with whisky production. I can't stand the taste of Scottish whisky but I do enjoy an occasional bourbon much to the disgust of my colleagues. But I help to ensure there are empty bourbon barrels to mature Scottish whisky in!

I am told that for the money, An Cnoc is an extremely good whisky. I have no affiliation to An Cnoc but if you're thinking of trying something different I have it on good authority that even the 12 year old is extremely palatable, and the older stuff is a treat.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    I'm also a bourbon drinker in a world that seemingly centres on scotch, been reading through this thread wondering if any others would surface! Did have about a dozen different bottles of bourbon a couple of years ago but now I stick to 3-4 favourites.