Remote for Fox fork / shock

mxh
mxh Posts: 51
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at a new bike for 2014 and the one I have in mind has Fox CTD forks and shock, but doesn't come with a remote for changing between the CT & D modes. I've been riding with a remote on my Scott Genius for the past year and it's a real game changer - I mean, we now accept dropper seat posts as the norm, yet what's the point if you still need to stop at every change of terrain to change suspension settings.

I know that in previous years the Fork could be adapted to work with the Fox remote, but the shock couldn't. Does anyone know if it's the same for 2014, or have Fox have again failed to see the light on this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who needs three remotes on the bars, plus shifters and brakes?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mxh
    cooldad wrote:
    Who needs three remotes on the bars, plus shifters and brakes?

Mate, if you don't want them, you don't have to have them - no one is forcing you. Not quite sure where you get 'three remotes' from - but it's a 1 * 11, so probably only the same number of levers as you're riding with.

However, I think it's a great idea - hence me wanting to know whether I'll be able to retro-fit something on the 2014 shock.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Dropper, forks and shock = 3.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I'd imagine the 3 in question were forks, shock and dropper post.

Everyone I know with CTD leaves it in T 98% of the time.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why do you need to stop to change between C, T and D?
    Can't it be done on the fly?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mxh
    cooldad wrote:
    Dropper, forks and shock = 3.

No - Fork and shock are on a single remote
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Everyone I know with CTD leaves it in T 98% of the time.

Exactly - because it's too much trouble to stop and change, especially when it's just a short downhill, or short climb. But as I've said, I've been riding with a remote for a year now and it's amazing how much use it gets.
    JBA wrote:

Yes, and technically you can also lower/raise a standard (ie non-dropper) seat post 'on the fly' if you want, but do you do that?

Bottom line guys - if you don't like the idea, don't do it. But perhaps don't knock it until you've actually tried it.

And can anyone answer the original question?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    buy one with a remote shock or fit a remote shock other wise you are stuffed as you can't retrofit them.

alternatively buy a bike that has the same i2i and stroke as your current bike and swap shocks

personally I don't see what the big issue is about using the remote - I've got a monarch RC3 plus and only change between the settings if I'm riding on tarmac. I never bother with my forks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have a remote for my forks and its completely pointless. It's actually more convenient to reach down to the fork crown and adjust settings.
    I wouldn't buy anything with Fox CTD forks until it has been proven that Fox have fixed the major issues from the 2013 CTD forks. Just because it's a 2014 bike doesn't mean you get 2014 model forks.
  • mxh
    POAH wrote:
    buy one with a remote shock or fit a remote shock other wise you are stuffed as you can't retrofit them.

So is that definitely still the case for the 2014 shocks, or are you just referring to previous years?

And sorry to sound like the Christmas Grinch, but I really couldn't care less what other people's opinions are on suspension remotes, and I'm not asking for them in this post. All I'm interested in is whether anyone knows whether I'll be able to retro-fit a remote to a 2014 Fox CTD shock.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    mxh wrote:
    JBA wrote:

Yes, and technically you can also lower/raise a standard (ie non-dropper) seat post 'on the fly' if you want, but do you do that?

All you have to do is reach down and flick a switch. That's hardly the same as adjusting your seat post on the move.
    I was merely asking if it is possible with your shock as retro fitting a remote, if possible, seems an expensive way of solving a problem that may not exist.

Anyway, in answer to the original question I have no idea.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mxh wrote:
    POAH wrote:

So is that definitely still the case for the 2014 shocks, or are you just referring to previous years?

And sorry to sound like the Christmas Grinch, but I really couldn't care less what other people's opinions are on suspension remotes, and I'm not asking for them in this post. All I'm interested in is whether anyone knows whether I'll be able to retro-fit a remote to a 2014 Fox CTD shock.

as far as I know you can't