hardtail frame choices

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
2 bottles of cava and the mrs has said I can get a new ht frame :)

there are a few stipulations though...

1) must be for 26" wheels - as I have a decent wheelset only a few months old
2) ideally be black
3) not fussed if I need new forks - travel no more than say 120-130 but 100 is fine
4) lightweight - certainly lighter than my rockhopper frame by 200g or more if poss
5) budget circa £350-£400 - certainly no more

what options are there for me?

I've thought of giant xtc frames? stumjumper frames? scott scale??

Comments

• dimmockg
    it's a potential - but not sure it comes in black?
  • Raw carbon 456, Edit probs 2nd hand in that colour.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Cotic Soul or BFe?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Kenisis Decade Virsa - looks a good frame :-)
    Comes in black!!

Or tge max light?
  • dimmockg
    thanks for all suggestions, looks like the on-one and kinesis are possible contenders at the minute

cotic looks nice, but probably on the lardy side for me
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Ragley Marley?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Marley or whippet would be my first choices.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dimmockg
    liking the marley, however 2 things....

not sure it is lighter than my RH frame and size wise I reckon id be bang on between 16 & 18
  • The Rookie
    As the TTe is only 20mm different I'm sure you could move the saddle enough to compensate!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Cove Handjob? Not that light but goooooood. Well I like mine. :D
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Cqc
    The ragley Marley has a pretty reasonable frame weight. If your rockhopper frame has the same weight then thats pretty light for its price. when you start focussing on getting a superlight frame you will end up losing ride quality, and instead get some super XC focussed bike that will cost you way more and give you a bad ride. save the money on the frame and instead try losing 200g from your body or if you are in great shape already, your helmet, your riding pack and riding shoes, and that way you will have a great bike
  • dimmockg
    Some sound advice there in all fairness

I'm angling toward the 16" Marley at the moment. Whilst an inch less than my 17" hopper an 18" would certainly be too big. The only notable difference I can see is the Marley has 5mm less in effective top tube length but I can offset that with a slightly longer stem or lay back post if required

The Marley is certainly top choice at the moment
  • The Rookie
    5mm you can do by moving the saddle in it's mount!

For indication purpose, I weighed a 17" RH frame and it was the same weight as my 16" Carrera frame at about 1740g, that was a 2006.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Kinesis maxlight xc130. Mine weighed about 1500g and was fine with upto a 140mm fork, but handles well with anything up to that. Very comfy and insanely light, mine was built to 22lbs with a 140mm fork and chunkyish tyres. Very reasonably priced too.
  • dimmockg
    Will check the kinesis out (again)

My RH frame is an m4 from 2009 so chances are a little lighter than the 2006 hopper frame weighed below? I guessed an approx weight of circa 2000g for my 17" hopper but I could have over egged it somewhat? Perhaps it's more like 1700-1800?
  • Cqc
    i would say ( but dont take my word for it) to go for the 18" and put on a super short stem, giving you the same amount of reach but livelier handling. for example, my bike used to be owned by someone who is six footand is a size L and i'm only 5' 7" but by buying a 50mm stem as opposed to the 110mm one there was it fits :D