Zipp bearings

Gary Sinclair
Gary Sinclair Posts: 88
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Can anyone tell me what the bearings are like on the new fire crest wheels? I'm considering buying a pair. I had a pair of the last generation 303s with the alloy braking surface and had loads of problems with the bearings. It was the version where the bearings were loaded once you sat on the bike. They had around 5mm of play when there was no load on them. I'm guessing they are better now?

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    My 303's were a pile of pooh, chain lash, play in the bearings, jockey wheel catching on the spokes, even when correctly adjusted, rims flexed too much as well.

I bought a set of Enve 45's with CK hubs, about 110g lighter and beautifully built, don't believe Zipps claimed weight, mine weight 1600gms without skewers or rim tape!.
  • Velonutter wrote:
    My 303's were a pile of pooh, chain lash, play in the bearings, jockey wheel catching on the spokes, even when correctly adjusted, rims flexed too much as well.

I bought a set of Enve 45's with CK hubs, about 110g lighter and beautifully built, don't believe Zipps claimed weight, mine weight 1600gms without skewers or rim tape!.

Were they fire crests? I looks at a pair of enves but was put off by ck hubs, they were so noisy like a plague of wasps.
  • Were they fire crests? I looks at a pair of enves but was put off by ck hubs, they were so noisy like a plague of wasps.

Better some crap ands quiet ones then... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Velonutter wrote:

Were they fire crests? I looks at a pair of enves but was put off by ck hubs, they were so noisy like a plague of wasps.

Not if you pedal.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    For the money that those Zipps are that is really bad, a wheel that does not work as a wheel very well. It is not hard to manufacture a good hub.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Here we go again... :roll:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter wrote:

Yep Firecrests, You can buy Enve's with either DT, CK or Tune Hubs.

The Buzzin bees noise is fantastic, and CK are renown for that.

LBS wheel builder has never had to replace, bearings or hubs in any CK wheel he has ever built and he builds loads of wheels and has been building them for over 10 years.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Since ENVE rims can be bought separatly you can have them built onto any hub you like just contact a wheel builder. My favourite would be Royce for a high speciality hub, cheaper than Chris King as well. Chris King hubs may have reliable bearings but you you pay hamsomley for that.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Velonutter
    Since ENVE rims can be bought separatly you can have them built onto any hub you like just contact a wheel builder. My favourite would be Royce for a high speciality hub, cheaper than Chris King as well. Chris King hubs may have reliable bearings but you you pay hamsomley for that.

I believe that you can buy Enve wheels straight from the factory with DT, CK or Tune Hubs as per their web site.

What sort of prices are the Royce hubs and the 3.4 Rims as I might build another set for climbing?