A couple of Carbon Steerer tube questions

tpbiker
tpbiker Posts: 24
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hi folks

Hoping someone can give me a bit of reassurance over a couple forks I own.

Fork one, a planet x sl carbon fork, which I bought as a frameset second hand. Rather than use a carbon bung the previous owner used one of those 3t sleeve inserts that you epoxy in. I know these are meant for the 3t fork specifically, but is there any risk in using them on a planet x fork? I'm thinking specifically increasing stress around the area of the bottom of the sleeve, although I'm not sure if this would be an issue or be any wors than a standard bung. Anyone used a sleeve like this on a fork other than 3t?

Fork 2 - A deda black fin. Took it off the bike today for a quick inspection, and noticed quite a few marks on the steerer. Not too deep, more like scores but you can definitely feel then. Cause for concern or fairly standard? Pics of a couple of them below and although hard to make out one goes all the way round the steerer, its so uniform it looks like it could almost be part of the manufacturing process. Its not near the bearings/Headset, so not caused by that.

2nd pic looks to be caused by the bearing race, although again there are no sharp edges on there.

All perfectly normal, and being paranoid, or certain death on next outing...

ta

20131223_180150-1.jpg

20131223_175846-1.jpg

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    can't see why the expoy'd bung would be a problem

neither picture is in focus, could be anything from perfectly fine to screaming death by faceplant
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sorry, those images are rubbish. Turns out my camera has a focus!

20131223_192613.jpg

20131223_192657.jpg