Help identifying rear mech size, please.

Pickled Pig
Pickled Pig Posts: 233
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Can anyone tell from this webpage if the rear mech on the bike is medium or long cage?
Thanks
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-LTD-SL-Mountain-Bike-2012-Hardtail-Race-MTB_49464.htm

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Do you know what the cassette ratio is - 11/32, 11/34, 11/36, etc? If its an 11/34 or smaller it should be a medium cage, if its a 11/36 its probably a long.

This is all going by Shimano's max tooth capacity for their rear derailleurs... but... the general rule of thumb is/was triple = long, double = medium, single = short

If I had to put money on it i'd say it was medium.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looks like long in the pic, but you don't say why. Check Shimano tech docs for the correct range for whatever you have or want to do.;
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That's a long, why?
  • Thanks. Cassette is 11-36 so I guess its long, as stated. I've wrecked mine and want to make sure I get the right replacement. I lashed all the docs that came with the bike because I'd never need them :wink:
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Cassette size doesn't solely define mech size. It's range biggest chainring - smallest + biggest sprocket - smallest. I've got an 11-36 cassette with a tiny caged mech, as I only run a single up front.

As before though, that's a long.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And just look on the mech anyway - it'll say SGS or GS cage somewhere. SGS being long.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    will be a long cage since the bike has a triple
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    POAH wrote:
    Not necessarily. Depends on the range - so a close ratio cassette could make a medium cage ok.
    cooldad wrote:
    ... Check Shimano tech docs for the correct range for whatever you have or want to do.;
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    Not necessarily. Depends on the range - so a close ratio cassette could make a medium cage ok.

I was not giving an overly long answer TBF - unlikely to get a close ratio cassette on a bog standard bike like that though