Upgrades to Trek Madone 3.1

sam.anstee
sam.anstee Posts: 4
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've had my Trek Madone 3.1 for about a year now, so time to start doing some upgrades. All I've done so far is upgrade the wheels to Fulcrum Racing Quattros and replaced the saddle with a Fizik. Other than that it is as stock, so predominantly 105 GS with the exception of the front dérailleur (Tiagra) and cranks (SRAM S350). Full spec below.

I've always done a lot of cycling but next year I want to take it more seriously and get faster. I'm going to purchase some new wheels (probably Fulcrum Racing Zeros) in the new year, but does any one have any other advice about what upgrades which make the bike lighter/faster? I'm thinking stem, cranks, seatpost, handlebars or any area of GS, with about £300-£400 to spend.

I train about 3-4 hours during the weekdays (turbo based) and at weekends I normally do a ride of anything from 80-150k, so I have a fairly decent base. Next year I'm taking on the Paris-Roubaix and Etape, as well as a number of UK sportives. So I'm relatively fit, but looking for any little help!

Thank you!

Full spec: Frame: 300 Series OCLV Carbon, E2
Fork: Trek carbon road, E2, SpeedTrap compatible
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra, 34.9mm clamp
Shifters: Shimano 105 STI, 10 speed
Crankset: SRAM S350, 50/34 (compact)
Cassette/Freewheel: Shimano Tiagra 12-30, 10 speed
Brakes: Alloy dual-pivot brakes w/Shimano 105 STI levers
Wheelset: Alloy hubs w/Bontrager Approved alloy rims
Tyres: Bontrager R1, 700x23c
Saddle: Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Stem: Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm, 7 degree
Handlebar: Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
Seatpost: Bontrager Race Lite, infinite tilt adjustment, 20mm offset
Grips: Bontrager Gel Cork tape

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want the bike to go faster, join a club or train with fitter/stronger riders.
    The best upgrade for Paris-Roubaix will be some 25mm tyres to go with the Fulcrum Zeros.
    Look at your contact points e.g. bars and saddle to improve comfort and maybe drop some weight, particularly the saddle. Don't bother with upgrading groupset parts unless they break/wear-out
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • To the OP... the Etape is one thing and Fulcrum Zero will be perfect.. Paris-Roubaix is a completely different thing... radically different... as soon as you hit the pave' you will realise it.... it's one where your expensive light wheels are completely out of place
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am inclined to agree. I am not even doing the the Paris Rouboix , I am doing the event a week before in Belgium, on those road/cobbles which are meant to be smoother than the roughness of Paris Roubaix, I am not taking my nice carbon wheels or anything light. It is not the kind of ride were you want to break something as that would be a real downer.

My wheels for cobbles are a 32 spoke front, 36 rear with old DA hubs and nemesis rims and Pave tubs. I would suggest double wrapping the bar tape and a good saddle. I will be changing the 1990 flite I am currently using to and SLS Max saddle. Some well padded mits are also on the list.

lighter Seat, seatposr, handlebars,stem e.t.c will not make you faster. A set of bars which improve your postion, a stem of the right length, a saddle that fits e.t.c will make you more comfortable on a long ride and that will make you faster.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Good point about the Zeros on the Pave, I hadn't really considered that. I did the Flanders last year and used my Fulcrum Racing Quattros, they seemed to handle it pretty well so may stick with them for the cobbles and switch up to the Zeros for the Etape, certainly don't want to be trashing my wheels 3 months after buying them!

Thanks for the advice
  • sam.anstee wrote:
    Good point about the Zeros on the Pave, I hadn't really considered that. I did the Flanders last year and used my Fulcrum Racing Quattros, they seemed to handle it pretty well so may stick with them for the cobbles and switch up to the Zeros for the Etape, certainly don't want to be trashing my wheels 3 months after buying them!

Thanks for the advice

I can assure you Roubaix is in a different league to Flanders... I still remember this guy walking to the first feeding zone holding a wheel bent at 90 degrees
    left the forum March 2023