Tyres for Giant Trance X4

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have a Giant Trance X4 (2012) and need new tyres. I wanted to get a Minion DHF (2.35 is the smallest) for the front but Giant have said the Manufacturer have advised the largest can be a 2.25 only and it is my call as to if I purchase etc.

Does anyone have one of these bikes and what tyres are you running on them?

Thanks.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had the 2010 Trance which had similar clearance at the back. I wouldn't go bigger than 2.25". I used to use Bontrager XR4's, good tyres.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I'm running 2.35 hans dampfs on mine with no problems, and they are huge.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • rockmonkeysc
    How much clearance do you have with them?
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Enough, been running them for a few months both with tubes and tubeless and haven't had any problems at all, used them on pretty muddy trails too and with the pressures fairly low.

The only thing I could see being a problem would be running a very low gear combination as this could bring the chain line pretty close to the edge of the tyre.

Will maybe get some pictures later.

ETA: ran 2.35 high rollers on there as well with no problems.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • worb68
    Its only for the front as looking at an Ardent for the back which is 2.25. So we think it might fit and be okay then?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bear in mind that maxxis tyres are all measured with a rubber ruler, a highroller 2.35 isn't a 2.35 on anyone else's terms. (though I haven't tried the latest ones, I hear they might have changed the sizing yet again). Bizarrely the 2.7 HR is closer to 2.5 and the 2.5 is closer to 2.35.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I run a conti Baron black chilli on the front of my 2011 x4, awsome tyre for this time of year. Bike came with a kenda nevegal 2.1 and the baron is only slightly wider. Did have a minnion 60a dhf 2.35 on over the summer and the baron is not far off the same size.

Did try a nevegal 2.35 once and that thing is massive. Rubbed a bit under braking.

Going from a maxxis 60a to a black chilli Baron on the front was like night and day.
  • Ardent 2.25 comes up big, bigger than a 2.35 high roller! That said my mate has run both on a 2012 trance x4 with no problems. Minions seem small for 2.25 so should be no problem
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • rockmonkeysc
    Goggs-san wrote:
    I run a conti Baron black chilli on the front of my 2011 x4, awsome tyre for this time of year. Bike came with a kenda nevegal 2.1 and the baron is only slightly wider. Did have a minnion 60a dhf 2.35 on over the summer and the baron is not far off the same size.

Did try a nevegal 2.35 once and that thing is massive. Rubbed a bit under braking.

Going from a maxxis 60a to a black chilli Baron on the front was like night and day.

Would you recommend the Barons? Are they prone to pinch flats?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Barons as long as they're black chili are bloomin awesome for winter use- ridiculous grip in mud and on wet rock, even do ok on roots. And not at all bad on hardpack either. But, there's better hardpack tyres, and they're expensive, and a little shortlived (the tread lasts really well but the sidewalls wear faster). Love mine on the front, less allround brilliant on the back but still useful.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Not had a flat yet using the Baron, but it is on the front. Side walls aren't paper thin like a lot of folding lighter tyres. but it does weigh 800g.

This time of year I mainly stick to trail centres and find the baron really good on all surfaces including hard pack.

Didn't really fancy it on the back for the reasons north wind mentioned including might be a bit draggy. If I was using the bike for more all mountain then it would be ideal.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    FYI Minion 2.35 DHFs fit fine on a Trance
  • 2011 Trance X3, been using XR4 Team Issues's since November at trail centres, cant fault them really. Much bigger than the Panaracer Fire XC Pro's they replaced.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Been using Maxxi 2.35's all the while on my 2010 x4, minion on the rear,As it says above Maxxis 2.35 is smaller than every on else 2.35, tempted to try a 2.5.
  • 2011 Trance with 2.2 Black Chilli Rubber Queens. Miles better (and a fair bit bigger) than the 2.2 Nevegals they replaced. Plenty of clearance.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • worb68
    I went for the Minion DHF on the Front 2.35 and Ardent 2.25 on the back. Fitted fine and are smaller than the nobby nics they replaced. Now to ride them properly when its not raining :-)