Replacing moving bits

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited December 2013 in Workshop
Hey everyone.

I'm thinking its time to replace/upgrade the original components on my 2010 Allez Elite. I do roughly 1500-2500 miles a year and up until now have not had any problems with the equipped tiagra group set. However, lately things are starting to get a bit clunky, gears are slipping and things aren't sounding too smooth anymore.

I'm thinking of at least new cassette and chain, but was wondering is it best to replace all the bits that come into contact with the drive train (I.e. Chain rings/chain set and rear mech)?

I'm thinking of 105 parts, but what's the opinion on 105 vs ultegra? I could quite happily stretch to ultegra financially, but is it worth it? I'm no racer looking for ultralight, but I am looking more at the performance end as I do ride in "friendly competitive" club runs and sportives.

Other planned upgrades are new wheels and carbon fibre handle bars.

Ta :D

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Ultegra is worth it. you can get a good deal on 10 speed groupsets now 11 is around
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Ultegra cassettes are machined differently so pick up better when you shift up the gears, they are also MUCH lighter. But much more expensive as well, and will wear out. With the price of new ultegra cassette, chain and chainrings, you can almost get a whole 105 groupset which would eliminate any chance of clunkiness staying. Match this to a nicer set of wheels (don't stress too much about carbon bars for now) and that bike will come alive.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Before you just go throwing money at it you need to ascertain what it is that's actually driving the problems. For instance, when's the last time you changed the cables? What does the chain wear measure?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Rhod81
    DesWeller: whilst I don't doubt that it is due a good service and tightening a few bits here and there would help, they have done a good 4-5000 miles, so they've served me well.

My intention is to replace some of the original products with some nicer, lighter bits, but keep the old gear. I would like to buy a new bike but realistically I haven't got a spare couple of grand (at least) lying about. In about a year or so I can buy a nice, lightweight frame set and transfer my year old groupset, wheels, etc onto that and then restore my Allez back to its original guise and use it for winter/commuting purposes.

Mattv and Smoggy: I'm still weighing up which is best really. Ultegra will cost me a couple of hundred more but I don't mind too much if, as well as being lighter, performance is improved. However, I question whether Ultegra is THAT better than 105, as I have read elsewhere that today's 105 is like a few years old Dura Ace, blah blah....? Also, the money saved on it would cover me my carbon bars (a luxury, I know, but I got them on my Mtb and I like the way they feel).

Think I might have just sold myself on the 105 tbh.

Cheers guys.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    if I was given the choice of 105 and Ultegra today I would take ultegra. if you use it enough you realise how much better it is than 105. There are small jumps in performance between sora and Tiagra and 105, but Ultegra is a big leap as is Ultegra to DA. Saying that, I still stick to 105 cassettes purely cos the weight to price ratio just do not make the Ultegra ones cost effective.

If you can live without 11 speed, you can get 10 speed Ultegra alot cheaper now.

As far as your carbon bar luxury goes, Is that really of higher importance to your setup than the gears? You build a bike usually in this order
    Frame
    Groupset
    wheels
    finishing set

Your handlebars will not offer as much performance boost as your gears. And if you still want them its better to save for a luxury than a key component
  • Rhod81
    Very true Smoggy... Hmm