Newbie Forum Member Looking To Get Back Into Downhill

Sky_Captain
Sky_Captain Posts: 4
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone :)

I have been out of the MTB scene for a while and recently found an old bike tucked away at the back of the garden shed, I forgot all about her :oops: This was always more of a fun past time rather than anything serious and competitive so I have been thinking about spending a little cash to get her "usable" again.

The bike in question is an old Saracen Raw full suspension bike and a little on the heavy side :D At a guess I'd say nearly 10 years old, I'm not interested in buying anything new I'd just like to see if I still enjoy riding.

Parts wise I think I'll be needing a new saddle, front and rear tyres, inner tubes, riser bar, grips and pedals and then a thorough service.

Right, I'm off to have a look around and see what info I can dig up.

E2A

I may need a new rear cassette and front suspension forks so any recommendations are welcome.

The current cassette is a Shimano (CS-HG30-81) 8 speed which I wouldn't mind changing for a 10 and the front suspension is the SR Suntours.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you want a 10 speed cassette, you need new shifters and mech as well. Starts getting expensive. Once you add new forks and all the other bits, I wouldn't spend that much.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Yes, your right I didn't really think about that. I'll hold off on the new cassette for a while... New forks are still in the running if I can find something new reasonably priced or something secondhand in good condition.

Where is the best place (Knowledge, price and selection) to buy your parts from online?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Find what you want, ask advice in buying section on here.

I have a lot of luck on eBay with forks.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the advice/pointers Rookie, I didn't want to clutter up the forum unnecessarily with multiple threads but I'll start something in the buying section like you have mentioned :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If your thinking of riding downhill tracks you might not find this bike ideal. It's not really a downhill bike.
  • Get a cheapie off ebay mate... I would try your bike first, real downhill is scary