Best place to buy MTB trousers? (and clothes in general)

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Im looking for some MTB trousers in particular, and possibly some shoes, and i cant seem to find a website that sells trousers, or sells trousers that arent stupidly over priced.

So far, ive found this to be the best deal i can find

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fly- ... prod85253#

Anyone have any suggestions as to where its best to get clothes from?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wherever sells the item you want! Best to choose the item and look for the seller, however all the main stores sell bike stuff, Halfords, Evans, Decathlon as well as the online outlets, Wiggle, CRC,etc etc etc, read reviews on her as a starter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Those Fly Racing trousers are good for downhill but you might find them a bit heavy duty for anything else. Downhill trousers are very tough and designed to protect from gravel rash injuries but too hot for xc/trail even in the middle of winter.
    For xc and trail riding I prefer baggy shorts with tights under them. Wiggle (evil bastards) have some good deals on dhb tights.
  • Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive looked in quite a few places now, decathlon have some good deals on trousers, eventhough they only sell 3 of them :D

Rockmonkey, i did have a look at getting shorts + tights but that will be more expensive. Im surprised that shorts are almost the same price as the trousers.

I did 3 hours today wearing normal sports tracksuit bottoms, and if anything i felt a bit cold with all that mud and water splashing on the inside of my legs continually. I think trousers would be a good option for me.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If you want trousers then Endura Humvees are good (I have a pair of those), or MT500s if you want them waterproof.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wet trackies will be colder than bare skin as they conduct heat away, I rarely wear more than baggies with knee Warner's even down to about -4, then I just add some cheap walkers tights.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Tights and shorts from Aldi are pretty cheap and warmer than trousers.
  • riche0
    riche0 Posts: 26
    Trousers might be cheaper than shorts and tights but you might want consider the use you will get. You'll prob only wear them for a few months because they'll be too hot. Whereas as a shorts and tights/ leg warmer in combination could be used all year.
  • Cheers everyone.

I think ill go for the shorts and tights option, for the reason that richie that mentioned. And ive found some good shorts and tights on eBay after looking for a bit. Ive got quite a few options to choose from now.

As for shoes, the 5 10s look nice but i think i might just get some cheap flat trainers from sports direct.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    How about shorts and merino leg warmers from On One?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I rode the other week in sub zero conditions with a pair of helly hansen thermals and a pair of endura tights over top - plenty warm enough even when they were a bit wet. up top I had one of Decathlon's Kipsta rugby undershirts - good for exercising outdoors in low temps but you need something over the top unless you are ripped! Very cosy fit over beer belly and moobs.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Trousers don't work particularly well if you're running a triple, they tend to catch on the big ring or front mech.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Bib tights and baggies all the way for me.
  • I really rate the waterproof shorts from madison. Plus I use a montane minimus jacket which is really waterproof and breathable, plus packs down to almost tennis ball size.

I ve got 5 10 minnar shoes which are great till it's monsoon weather!

Otherwise general kit like under shorts, etc come from mountain warehouse, lidls, Aldi, etc. Unless the brand names are cheap!
  • Kowalski675
    Trousers don't work particularly well if you're running a triple, they tend to catch on the big ring or front mech.

The Enduras don't - they have velcro to narrow them down at the ankles.
  • Trousers don't work particularly well if you're running a triple, they tend to catch on the big ring or front mech.

I run a single with a chain guide, so no such issues :)
  • Plus one for endura humvee , an excellent product. Got some overtrousers in a halfords sale.
  • I bought some Fox gloves, Fox shorts, some padded thermal tights, and a pair of waterproof socks. All thats left now is a pair of shoes. :)
  • I bought some Fox gloves, Fox shorts, some padded thermal tights, and a pair of waterproof socks. All thats left now is a pair of shoes. :)

Teva links at very good prices at JE James at the moment....

Edited to add: I am usually a "large" UK 10 and went for the size 11 which is just about spot on.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • Kowalski675
    Bishbosh10 wrote:
    I bought some Fox gloves, Fox shorts, some padded thermal tights, and a pair of waterproof socks. All thats left now is a pair of shoes. :)

Teva links at very good prices at JE James at the moment....

Edited to add: I am usually a "large" UK 10 and went for the size 11 which is just about spot on.

I'm normally an 8 and had to size up to a 9. Anyone want to buy a brand new boxed pair of 8's?...