boardman cx team 2014 bb30?

mouse5
mouse5 Posts: 22
edited May 2015 in Workshop
Just bought a boardman cx team 2014 model boxed. Set the gears up myself as they were miles out although Halfords said they were set at factory. Haven't ridden it yet but I've noticed a bit of a clicking/grinding noise from the bottom bracket - checked the front mech and can't see any rubbing anywhere. Bit worried about a few posts I've seen of BBs packing in due to not being greased. Also, on my chainset it says BB30 and I thought the 2014 model was PF30. Don't know if I should ride it or check if there's grease in the bearings first - I know I should take it back to halfords, but it might be less trouble to sort it myself if it's just a greasing it needs. Also any thoughs on the best BB - BB30 or PF30.

Comments

• PF30 and BB30 use the same spindle size so any BB30 chainset fits PF30 fine. As to the creaking noise, I would say make sure it's the bottom bracket and not something. They use Press fit to try and avoid the problem you're having
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It would be worth getting someone to remove/re-install the PF30 and check it's greased properly and seated firmly - if it creaks now it'll only get worse. BB30 and PF30 both use the same design of crank and bearings, the only difference is how the bearings are seated in the frame. BB30 the bearings are seating directly in the frame whereas PF30 uses a plastic insert between the two.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    I have the same bike and thought I was experiencing the clicking noise from the BB... turned out to be a pedal. A brand new Shimano M540 SPD pedal had died after 200 miles!
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)
  • newtonuk
    newtonuk Posts: 134
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but would anybody know if the bearings in a PF30 can be replaced or do you have to replace the whole nylon sleeve ensemble as well?
    Giant Defy 1 (2015)
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6 (2014)
    Boardman CX Team (2014)
    Scott Spark 30 (2009)