Shifting gears???

7448stewart
7448stewart Posts: 79
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
When should i be shifting? as in not pedaling when i shift or pedal at a sertin point so it i smooth? I sometimes fined myself shifting when riding up hill and putting alot of pressure on the peddales and the gear clunks and shounds bad :(

Comments

• miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Unless you have an internally geared hub you should always shift while pedaling, for "smooth" changes you need to maintain a bit of speed especially when going up hill, so, learn to read the terrain - if things look like they are going to get steep change gear in advance or shift gradually as the going gets harder.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Back off a bit when you shift up a hill or you will break something, sooner or later.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anticipate shifting so you have momentum and reasonable cadence when you shift, then just ease off the pedaling load as you click down and the shift will go through smoothly and quickly, shift with low cadence and high torque and it's nasty and clunky and prone to snapping chains.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Shift before the hill