Mavic Ksyrium Elite, cracked rim

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I have just noticed that the rear rim on my Mavic Elite has cracked. It's cracked adjacent to one of the milled plinths where a drive side spoke attaches.

The crack extends radially out from the plinth by about 1/2 an inch.

I have had the wheels a couple of years and got them secondhand. I am not sure which year they are but I am sure they are out of warranty.

Replacing the wheels is not an option as I was made redundant on Friday (a sincere thanks to my fucker of an employer for such great timing !).

I have a charity ride in April. I hope to God I have a new job by then but wonder in the meantime if I can stop the crack getting worse by drilling a tiny hole at each far end of the crack. What do you think ?

Thanks in advance.

Al
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• It's doomed and it's dangerous... the spoke and nipple can pull out of the rim and send the all wheel severely out of true... it might jam against the brake pads and lock... not nice... best trying to source a cheap rear wheel as replacing the rim will be outrageously expensive on the Ksyrium

Sorry about the redundancy... not a good time indeed! :?
    left the forum March 2023
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Yes might work but then you will probably be adding a hospital stay to your woes !

I hope you get sorted soon but taking a chance with a wheel is a mistake, a cheap set of shimano r501 wheels from merlin for £78 (if your not campag ?)
    Other than that ask around at bike shops for anything they may have lying around that's not perfect but ride able.
  • Thanks chaps. You confirmed what I really was thinking.

Game plan will be to get some new wheels whenI get my redundancy payment. In the meantime I will put some spare Alex rims back on the to Wife's bike and swap out her Askiums on to mine short term.

I think I might replace my Elites with a new pair of Askiums. They are a no thrill workhorse of a wheel, cheap to boot.

Thanks again.
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Thanks chaps. You confirmed what I really was thinking.

Game plan will be to get some new wheels whenI get my redundancy payment. In the meantime I will put some spare Alex rims back on the to Wife's bike and swap out her Askiums on to mine short term.

I think I might replace my Elites with a new pair of Askiums. They are a no thrill workhorse of a wheel, cheap to boot.

Thanks again.

MTFU and ride the Alex rims ... less faff and at this time of year it's not going to make much difference to your performance ...
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Thanks chaps. You confirmed what I really was thinking.

Thanks again.

MTFU and ride the Alex rims ... less faff and at this time of year it's not going to make much difference to your performance ...

LOL. You might be right !
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,925
    Exactly the same happened to my rear 2010 Elite wheel. It was ever so slightly out of true when I embarked on Paris to Rome last Summer, but I didn't think anything of it having done 11,000 miles already on them from new. But on the very last few miles, cycling gently up to the Vatican, the brakes really started catching, and by the time I loaded it into the support vehicle near the Collosseum it was virtually unrideable. An inspection back at home revealed the cracks. New wheel bought, old one saved for spares.