Ultegra Wheelset for a fatty

blobbi
blobbi Posts: 42
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
This has been touched on before, I realise. In brief - bought a planet X with Shimano R501 C24 clinchers. Wheigh 100kg and feel like the front flexes when out of the saddle. Looking at some ultegra's (6700) for under £200 and wondered if they would be suitable for all year round riding. Could put tubeless on (is this worth it as need new tyres anyway) and have also looked at some strada handbuilts but they are £200 more expensive. So I guess my question is:
If you are a fatty, have you had any problems with the ultegra 6700 wheelset despite it only having 28/20 spokes?

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I wouldn't get those at your weight.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • blobbi
    Whys that then? There is no weight limit on them....
  • They are 16/20 and not 28/20.
    The first thing to remember is that the 6700 are last year's thing and Madison has made clear that they lo longer support the older models. Not quite sure what that means in terms of warranty, but certainly in terms of spares it is not good.
    Shimano don't put weight limits as it's not practical for them... they cannot police who buy their wheels and they cannot put customers on a scale to see who is within warranty and who is not... so why bother? They are not dangerous for heavy riders, they might just last less and give you a little more grief.

As you correctly pointed out, there is plenty of advice available on these, form light as well as heavier riders, do a bit of digging and you should find out the information you require. The consensus seems to be (if ever there was one on the web), if I recall correctly, that they are not overly stiff, which is what you would expect from them
    left the forum March 2023
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Sure you can't have failed to notice this current thread

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12952557

The various arguments about wheel construction vs rider weight are pretty well covered. Essentially the Ultegra wheels may not have a stated weight limit but with a 20/24 spoke set up they will be more prone to failure the heavier the rider is.

Just as a guide, something like these might be a better choice

http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk/Wheel_b ... elset.html
  • 95 kg and killed a set first ride.
    for all the use any of these light and budget wheels are you'd be better off on a well built set of 105 / open pro or similar 36 rear 32 front.
    If you have the cash and want special day bling look at hope, dura ace or chris king with some ird's .
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    The answer to nearly all wheel threads is "Open Pro on 105". 36 spokes for you.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I opt for the baller combo of "Archetype on Ultegra", but that's just how I roll.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I am 14.5 st 92kg? been running these wheels for a couple of years now with no trouble,probs about 4000 miles on them
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    everyone is different when it comes to how long wheels last. Another 8 kg will mean the spoke will fatigue quicker.
    Archetypes, velocity A23's, velocity deep V's, Kinlin XC279's, DT Swiss RR585 are all available in 32H drilling and will make fine wheels for you on Mich or shimano hubs. OP will works as would ambrosio rims. So many to choose from. You need to decide shallow or medium deep, narrow or wide.

Do you want a very stiff wheel (wide and medium depth 25-30mm) or something less stiff like an shallow narrow rim would give.

grey archetype on ultegra hubs just works.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • blobbi
    Cheers for your input, that is what I figured regarding the wheels. I have looked at some Strada wheels, nice and a good price.
  • strada have good reiews. For fit and forget a good hub with well built 36 three cross rear on a rim with reinforced eyelettes and quality spokes will cope with all sorts