Beginner Rider

ABAzman
ABAzman Posts: 10
edited January 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi All!

The mtb bug has bitten me and here I am. I'm a student in Strathclyde Uni in Glasgow and I've just recently acquired a Giant Terrago Disc 2010 17 as my first ever proper bike (imho) after going to Cathkin Braes for a bit of action three times (in the rain, on frost and in an awesome weather). It's a second hand and I also use it as a daily commuter to work in the morning. It is pretty heavy, weighted +-15kg thus, i'm considering to get a lighter frame.

Looking around ebay I found these two:
Canyon Grand Canyon Al 7.0 16.5 frame - currently within budget (£200 and below) includes BB,HS,SP,F Mech
CBoardman HT Pro MTB 16 frame - still bidding but only sells the frame.

Any thoughts?

Cheers and Salam Perkenalan ( Nice to meet you in malay/indonesian)

Comments

• Hi! In my opinion I would just keep the bike as it is. Ride it for the winter and you will see what you like about the bike, what you don't get on with etc, and by Spring you could have saved up for a nice new bike, or a really nice second hand one (people seem to upgrade at the start of summer so there are lots of deals about).

If money if burning a hole in your pocket though, if it was my bike I would start by upgrading the tyres and then the forks. You could do both of these and see a big improvement whilst staying in your budget (assuming you have stock parts?).
  • Hi! Thank you for your reply. I was thinking about shedding some weight off it since I live on the third floor. The previous owner did upgrade the bike with Rockshox Tora, Deore Shifters, alexrims ace 17 and probably a new saddle? I'm not sure.But it does rides awesome on daily basis. Can't wait for the weather to calm down!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above ride it until the spring so you know what you want from a bike then replace or upgrade it. You will have a much better idea then unless you just fancy a project.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A heavy frame will only be half a kg heavier than either of those at most, so the overweight comes from everything else!

My bike would have been a similar weight to yours when new, it's now just on 10kg (will be less after Christmas!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thank you for the reply guys!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    As the others have said, but when you do but a new bike eventually, avoid boardman.
  • Cqc wrote:
    As the others have said, but when you do but a new bike eventually, avoid boardman.
    Hi

Thank you for your reply. Curiosity ensues. Why Boardman?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ABAzman wrote:
    Cqc wrote:
    Hi

Thank you for your reply. Curiosity ensues. Why Boardman?
    Because you'll get a good bike at a very good price.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clash of opinion. omg! OoO
  • No clash. Some people are deluded morons.
  • i did find a bit of issue on boardman after cQc's reply, about the bottom brackets. But that's all I found anyways. The Boardman did get a four star review from this site though. I suppose to each their own?
  • It is just a bottom bracket!

And not really all down to them.
  • Cqc
    They have no soul and they come set up badly- a Mates one came with a leaking shock and missing a jockey wheel :(
  • Soul? They are mass bikes.

Quite a wide brush you're using there. Did he take it back?
  • cooldad
    Cqc wrote:
    They have no soul :(
    A ginger bike?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Soul? They are mass bikes.

Quite a wide brush you're using there. Did he take it back?
    Yeah, but they were pretty unfriendly and they said it was his fault :( got it returned eventually... And if everyone had a boardman or a rockrider, what would they world be like? Mass produced bikes can still have some soul, but boardmans don't... They will leave you uninspired
  • cooldad
    It's a bicycle, not the bloody Mona Lisa.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Cqc wrote:
    Mass produced bikes can still have some soul, but boardmans don't... They will leave you uninspired

They might leave you uninspired, but I rather like mine, thanks, rode it a lot through summer and had a lot of fun on it. It's certainly inspired me. It wasn't without its teething troubles, but it was certainly the best bike I could get for that price. Sounds to me like you're just a label snob.

DSCN0974copy_zpsf8da017f.jpg

030920133336copy_zpsdc5959e3.jpg

DSCN1007_zpsb0a9ba1c.jpg
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Cqc wrote:
    Mass produced bikes can still have some soul, but boardmans don't... They will leave you uninspired

If you are on a budget and new to mountain biking you will find it hard to buy a good entry level bike that's as good as a Boardman.
    They have become labelled as a "I am new to mountain biking rider " :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    omegas wrote:
    They have become labelled as a "I am new to mountain biking rider " :lol:

That's what I am, but I rode some much, much more expensive bikes too, so it's not that I'm only happy with it because it's the only bike I've ridden.
  • ABAzman
    ABAzman Posts: 10
    I'd probably go for a Boardman once I have enough experience or bored with my current bike. But we'll see. I also think Rockrider had a good setup for their really cheap full susser. Although I can tell there's gonna be somebody saying don't go for a full susser under 1K worth of money.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope, not that one. But they are still £200 quid cheaper for the same weight/kit ht.
  • Cqc
    I'm fine with rock riders, their full sus bikes are killer value... If you're on a budget, go for them... Mbuk gave the one your looking at 4.5/5 and said it was the best sub 1k full sus bike they'd ever ridden, go for that
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That's good to know. They must have soul.
  • Kowalski675
    ABAzman wrote:
    I'd probably go for a Boardman once I have enough experience or bored with my current bike. But we'll see. I also think Rockrider had a good setup for their really cheap full susser. Although I can tell there's gonna be somebody saying don't go for a full susser under 1K worth of money.

I paid £850 for mine, but if you're clever you can get the very good new Pro FS 650B for just over £1100. I'm still contemplating putting all the unused OE kit back on my new frame, selling mine and buying the new Pro.
  • morepower
    morepower Posts: 140
    I wouldn't have a problem with buying a Boardman or a Voodoo... OK you may need to check the bike over a little when you get it and take it for a little ride to make sure it has been put together correctly... A ride round the carpark and just going through the gears and making sure the brakes feel OK is a simple check just to make sure the basics work... BUT as a bike I think for a beginner it is going to be fun just riding anything. Snobbery is not going to make you ride better or faster as a beginner. I started on a £40 second hand Diamond Back many many years ago then got an all singing and dancing XC race bike which has lasted me 20+Years and I can hand on heart say it never stopped me riding anywhere or enjoying my rides, Yes now it would be looked down on as a rigid, canti brakes and 21 gears, but even now it works and will get me out on the trail if I wanted to ride it. I now ride a hard tail with long travel forks due to an injury which stopped me riding a few years ago. But for me as long is I am not in pain I dont care for brands it is me that is the limiting factor as I am effectively a beginner again.

Find a bike you feel comfortable with and is suited to where you plan to ride..... enjoy.... have fun and just get out and ride....
  • I am just getting into Mountain Biking again after about 5 years of not bothering with it at all. I got a GT Aggressor 3.0 for Christmas and it feels great at the moment around my local area. I haven't tested it on major downhill routes or anything yet but I have tried it on smaller sections and it feels great.

What do you guys think of the bike? Any of you had one before? Its a pretty cheap piece of kit but does the job at the moment, however I am looking at replacing parts soon. Forks will be replaced and getting new tires next week, still not sure which tires to get :')