Cut chain too short

mcowan77
mcowan77 Posts: 560
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I've cut a new shimano hg53 9 sp chain too short

Can I use quick links to add more links?

I'll be using them to connect the chain as well

Cheers

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    if you do. make sure both links are as far apart as possible so only one is under tension at any time.

best getting a replacement pin to heal the gap properly tbh
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Yeah it's fine, I've run a chain with 3 links in it for a fair few miles.

As he says, just keep them not immediacy adjacent
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    if you do. make sure both links are as far apart as possible so only one is under tension at any time.

Any particular reason? As the old saying goes, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Now, I would guess that the quick links certainly aren't the weakest links (logically they would be relatively over-engineered) but even if they were, one quick link isn't going to affect the strength of the other. If a chain is going to break at a particular quick link, it will break at that quick link irrespective of whether or not there is another one nearby.

Besides, if you are this worried about a quick link, you probably shouldn't be using them!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I did the same recently when I changed a chainring size by 4 teeth and automatically took out two links only to realise that the chain was two links too short before so I've had to refit the two links I took out. I used a KMC missing link, so each of the two missing links is separated by only two original chain links.

The way I see it is that I've driven thousands of miles on KMC missing links so why should I not be confident to have two of them in a chain?
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    You can re-attach the cut off part of the chain, you just need to make sure when you push the rivets in that you don't cause a tight spot. Easy way to do it is to push the rivet through then turn the chain and push the rivet back just a fraction
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most 9/10/11 chains use a swaged rivet - driving it out opens-out the hole in the sideplate and therefore you should not attempt to re-join it as it is likely to fail
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mcowan77
    mcowan77 Posts: 560
    Cheers folks

Job done