Swapping Rims

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
How easy is this to do? If I were to keep the hubs and spokes is this a DIY job?

Comments

• If the e.r.d is the same or very very close on the new rim then it'll work. Reasonably easy if you can true wheels. Tape new rim to current rim and slacken off all the spoke then change over one at a time to new rim. Tension and true.
  • Use new nipples as well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited December 2013
    I've done just this, as stated, the ERD has to be the same (within an mm or so), tape the rims together, loosen all the nipples a small amount, then swap all the spokes on one side over one at a time, doing them up loosely ( the rim is too far that way right now) then swap the other side spokes over and tighten to pull the new rim across to the middle, then true up, set the dish first without full tension on the spokes and then true up putting the spokes at proper tension at the same time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not the easiest DIY job though, especially when it comes to dishing. Read up first.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    i have done it a few times - use insualtaion tape to hold the new rim to the old and swap over the spokes one by one so you don't need to worry about lacing patter - even re-use the sam,e alloy nipples too - these can seize - so apply a sopt of oil when refitting them.

you need to ensure the rims are er - so the spokes are the same lenght.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Just done this today and used an old spoke screwed into the top of the nipple to make retrieval from old rim and insertion into new rim much easier. LBS has the wheel now and for £10 will true it up for me, I haven't got the patience to do it myself.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.