Shimano pedal/cleat question

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Just a quick question about shimano pedals. I'm looking to try some to see if the wider pedal surface helps with my numb feet problems. I'm currently using time which seem quite small in comparison.

I see there are a few different model numbers when it comes to cleats, the cheaper ones have different cleats from the likes of ultegra. Are they interchangeable? I'd like to buy a cheap pair to try out on the winter bike and if they work I'd be getting a pair of carbon ones for the race bike.

Can I use the cleats on any shimano pedal?

Thanks

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    SPD-SL cleats fit all Shimano road pedals, SPD cleats are the MTB variety and fit all Shimano & some other makes of SPD pedals

Not sure that changing your pedals will guarantee you don't get numb feet, are you sure your cleat is in the correct position and set up properly
  • I've tried virtually ever cleat position I can think of. Right the way forward, right the way back, in the middle, toe in, toe out. I've also tried a variety of shoes over the last few months without much luck. Pedals are the one variable that I haven't changed so thinking I might as well try.

Thanks for the helpful answer.
  • 47p2
    Well in that case it would be worth spending £21.30 here for some Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport Pedals to try them out
  • I'm certainly no expert in this area, but I can't imagine that a different pedal and cleat is going to help with numb feet. Do you do a lot of standing when you ride, like up hills? Are you relatively heavy? I'm trying to figure-out why you'd be putting so much force on your feet that they'd go numb.

With your existing shoes and pedals, can you actually "feel" where the pedal is? All of my bike shoes are so stiff that it doesn't really matter what type of pedal I have attached. Two of my bikes have Shimano SPD pedals like the one shown below, which has a really small contact area, and my feet can't tell the difference between them and the SPD-SL pedals on my road bike.

321-shimano-pedales-spd-m520-silver.jpg

This article suggests changes to your shoes, cleat placement, or riding technique but says nothing of new pedals.
  • Thank guys. Yeah to be honest I'm clutching at straws. As I say I've tried numerous shoes and cleat positions and the pedals are kind of the last thing to try.

I wouldn't say I'm heavy, hovering around 75kg just now with a bit of winter weight on.

I don't stand a lot but the only time I get numb feet is when I'm putting a hard effort in. Racing, long climbs, working into a headwind etc, so yeah they are going numb when putting more pressure on the peddles.

For the sake of £25 I think it would be worth trying them at least just to satisfy my curiosity.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Thank guys. Yeah to be honest I'm clutching at straws. As I say I've tried numerous shoes and cleat positions and the pedals are kind of the last thing to try.

I wouldn't say I'm heavy, hovering around 75kg just now with a bit of winter weight on.

I don't stand a lot but the only time I get numb feet is when I'm putting a hard effort in. Racing, long climbs, working into a headwind etc, so yeah they are going numb when putting more pressure on the peddles.

For the sake of £25 I think it would be worth trying them at least just to satisfy my curiosity.

Don't spend money on those pedals - I have a similar pair that you can have for nowt - it's Christmas!

PM me your address and I will get them off to you asap.
  • 47p2
    Make sure you're not over tightening your shoe straps
  • nochekmate wrote:
    Thank guys. Yeah to be honest I'm clutching at straws. As I say I've tried numerous shoes and cleat positions and the pedals are kind of the last thing to try.

Don't spend money on those pedals - I have a similar pair that you can have for nowt - it's Christmas!

PM me your address and I will get them off to you asap.

Fantastic mate, thanks very much! I'll send you a PM. Christmas has come early!! :D
  • Have you tried swapping your saddle at all? Or a set of insoles?
  • Not tried a different saddle no. I was just as bad trying to get one that didn't give me a numb member! God help me if I've to go through all that again!

I do have some heat moldable Sole insoles but they're too thick to go into my current shoes. That might be another option to try, thanks.