Wheel Weight - Alex ZX24

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited December 2013 in MTB general
On the Cube 2012 Ltd I have some Alex ZX24 rims with Deore XT HB-M785 (front) and FH-M785 (rear) hubs - Does anybody know the weight of these of have a good estimate? On-line searches seem to range from views that they are really quite heavy to actually being quite light - just have no idea and can't really be bothered to weigh them properly.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The ZX24 is an OE only rim, so no guarantees they are even made by Alex, or that two different manufacturers rims will actually be the same....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ah okay - so probably weighing is the best bet. I'm just wondering what on my bike is heavy and worth the cost of swapping out - this is the spec bar I have some superstar bars and nano flat pedals. Just want to know if there are any quick improvements to be made - keep being drawn to the wheels. :?

Frame: Alu Superlite AMF 6061 Double Butted, RFR-Geometry, Disc only
    Fork: Fox Evolution 32 Float RL, 100mm, Lockout
    Headset: FSA No.10 semi-integrated
    Stem: Easton EA30 Oversized
    Speed: 30
    Front Mech: Shimano Deore XT FD-M780 Top Swing, 34.9mm
    Rear Mech: Shimano Deore XT RD-M780 Shadow
    Chainset: Shimano FC-M552 2-Piece 42x32x24T, 175mm
    Bottom Bracket: Integrated
    Front Brake: Shimano BR-M505 hydr. Discbrake 180mm
    Rear Brake: Shimano BR-M505 hydr. Discbrake 160mm
    Rims: Alex ZX 24
    Front Hub: Shimano Deore XT HB-M785 Disc
    Rear Hub: Shimano Deore XT FH-M785 Disc
    Tyres: Schwalbe Rapid Rob Performance 2.25 Front Schwalbe Rapid Rob Performance 2.25 Rear
    Seatpost: Easton EA30 31,6mm
  • The Rookie
    Easton EA30 stuff isn't light.

XT brakes and crankset will be lighter than Deore, not sure how much Rob's weigh, but suspect they would be the best bang for the buck.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Plenty of weight to be saved if you have an unlimited budget. Only thing is to weigh all the bits and compare them with others, factor in the cost and decide.

I couldn't be bothered, but weight weenies take this stuff seriously.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Plenty of weight to be saved if you have an unlimited budget.

Certainly don't have an unlimited budget just wondering if anything that is clearly heavy - would only have max budget for new wheels of £200 so wondering if worth upgrading or just swapping rims or not at all.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Superstar build with Crest's to drop a bit off the wheels. Try www.carboncycles.cc for cheap and light stems, bars and seatposts. I picked up an XT chainset for £99 the other day from CRC. That would save a bit.
  • The Rookie
    The sensible thing is as CD says to take the bike apart (a bit, many weights you'll find online) and weight the parts, compare to what you can buy and the price of that part and see what is the best thing to do.

Weight at the wheel rim (rim, tube, tyre) is more critical as it is not only weight that has to be translated (moved along) but also rotated, thus saving weight here improves acceleration by more than weight saved elsewhere.

Lighter weight tubes are a cheap way to save weight, you may want different tyres for grip/rolling resistance anyway, so get lighter ones at the same time, foam grips are a great and cheap way to save weight as well.

You only need to strip the front down to a bare wheel to weigh, the difference in hub weights will be close to 100g and the actual weights you can probably find online anyway.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I's leave it how it is to be honest. It has a good, even spec with solid, reliable components. Meaningful weight loss will be costly. That said, foam grips for a tenner ;-)
  • Really only looking to see if there are really weak/heavy parts on the bike. Might look at the Sentinal or Tactic Trail Superstar rims but likely most bits will be staying as is until they need replacing.