Which 3 bolt pedals?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,896
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

I currently ride carbon mtb shoes with basic spd pedals.

Have just splashed out £40 on these roadie shoes, and as I am TT-ing my Felt, thought it might be worth considering some road specific pedals.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/diadora-speedracer-2-magnum-road-shoes-2013/rp-prod69090

Plenty of makes out there, so what do people swear by?

My requirements are nothing amazing.
Budget upto £100, preferably more like £60.
Would like some float.
Oh and I do like yellow....

I have seen shimano, look, time, mavic etc, but have no brand loyalty per se.

I like the look of these bar the unfortunate signature:
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,896
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    My advice would be to go for Shimano - see if you can find any bargains on the dura ace model, failing which the ultegra would be fine. Their bearings seem to be indestructable and Shimano cleats are the most durable (and they come with yellow highlights!).

Peter
  • If you're going the Shimano route I wouldn't bother with ultegra, 105 pedals are the best value, just 3 grams heavier than ultegra and use the same mechanicals. DA pedals are lovely but expensive.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ^^ This

Of all the worst places to spend excessive amounts of cash for the least relevant weight saving its pedals. as said you could spend twice as much on a set of pedals and save only a few grams. you probably lose more weight in sweat on a decent ride. and the rotating mass argument don't cut it here as you only really spin fast as lower speeds anyway. 105 are all I have ever used on any bike of any weight. I never understood why people pay a fortune for things like crank brothers or Look. there is no proof of any better power transfer or comfort. if you can clip in and out confidently enough on spd-sl or spd why waste your cash?

Oh, and as far as things like the Look pedals above go, what's more important to you: how a bike rides and responds or how good it looks propped against a wall?