Looking for alternative to Cube Peloton Race

herby0001
herby0001 Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm fresh to this forum. Looks like a great place to find info and exchange ideas. I was looking to run something past anyone who would care to read this and to get some opinions. Looking to replace my 1994 Dawes Impulse road bike (for me, it's a decent Reynolds 531-tubed, 14 speed steel beauty). TBH, it is a fantastic no-nonsense, bling-less bike and even though it's old skool steel and about 11kg, I'm a firm believer that what's riding the bike (ie. you) makes the difference. Not interested in bling for the sake of posing, but that said, I'm looking to buy the best I can. I don't want to be forever hankering over the next one up or wishing I'd not skimped and gone for 105 instead of Tiagra. As for the type of cyclist I am, well, I am happy doing a 70km - 100km (3 - 4 hour) ride on a weekend morning. Having a good workout and enjoying it is the key for me.

Anyhow, I am thinking of taking advantage of a Cycle to Work scheme through my employer, so I can get a bike up to £1k and pay no tax or NI on it, thus saving a good few hundred quid. I have until April 2014 to make a choice and at the moment, I have not road tested anything. I have had the Cube Peloton Pro (£879) http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=Peloton%20Pro%20CD%20Black%20-%202014%20Road%20Bike#.UrS8NahFDs0 on my radar. Has mainly Tiagra mixed with some 105 bits. I liked the styling and internal cable routing on the Cube. Then I thought I'd might as well go for the Cube Peloton Race (£999) http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/products.asp?category=Bikes&product=Peloton%20Race%20CD%20Black%20-%202014%20Road%20Bike#.UrS9K6hFDs0 as it had 105 pretty much throughout, better rims and tyres for an extra £120. I have decided against an entry level carbon frame there is a compromise on components (I've pretty much decided it's going to have to have 105 bits)

I will road test the Peloton Race in the spring, but it dawned on me recently that I've been homing in on what I THINK I want but I don't actually have a Plan B should the bike feel wrong. So, after all the hot air above, what I'm really after is a few suggestions on an alternative to the Peloton Race...

sub £1k;
preferably 105 spec'd;
aluminum frame;

TBH, I've not had loads jumping out at me. Canyon bikes look attractive, but since they are sold direct and not through dealers, road testing is going to be non-existent (am I right to think that?) So any pointers to specific makes/models would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments