Made me cry

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited December 2013 in Commuting general
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ONTHS.html
I have a nine year old daughter, i have jumped a red light, how stupid we can be sometimes.

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes indeed... Needlessly and selfishly shattered lives. He deserves what he gets. Thank goodness the poor maid is recovering
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Jumping the light was bad enough, running pure ignorance, got almost what he deserved, though 2 years would have seemed more appropriate to me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What a scumbag. Can't believe someone would do this to a kid and then scamper from the scene.
  • Mikey23
    Something to keep in mind when the next RLJ thread comes along as it inevitably will...
  • 30mph toward a crossing on a bend, madness......

Ok, so these are Dailymail figures, nobody can prove his speed and nobody can prove it was a red light, but nonetheless you don't ride (or drive) into a corner where there is a potential need to stop suddenly at the apex.
    Also a stupid place for a crossing.
  • Go on, tell me it wasn't really his fault, it was the road layout. Blame the highway authority?
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    edited December 2013
    Go on, tell me it wasn't really his fault, it was the road layout. Blame the highway authority?

How can it not be his fault?

My concern is that the road layout was clearly a factor, a point which the authorities can now brush under the carpet, like so many roads with terrible road design.
    You only need look at London with the recent cyclist deaths, they're so keen to let the cyclists and drivers fight it out for blame, because then nobody points the finger at the idiot who built a cycle lane death trap.

In the link above, you can clearly see a crossing on the apex of a bend, a completely stupid place to put a crossing..... I mean, what happens when you brake from speed in a corner, on a bike or driving a car? In the summer, on a nice day, not much of an issue, but add in some rain/snow/frost and that's a lethal combination.
  • Mikey23
    Doesn't seem to be too much of an issue to me. Then there's those big black box things on poles with pretty coloured lights on ... I'm sure they must be there for a reason
  • neilp7
    neilp7 Posts: 66
    I live about two miles from this crossing and it is in a really bad place, especially in the summer months when the area is heaving.
    There is a steep hill both in and out the other side of the corner.
    No excuse for what he did though, common sense surely to slow down!
  • neilp7 wrote:
    I live about two miles from this crossing and it is in a really bad place, especially in the summer months when the area is heaving.
    There is a steep hill both in and out the other side of the corner.
    No excuse for what he did though, common sense surely to slow down!

Yeah, I found the corner on Google maps, I'm quite curious as to how many cars have ended up planted in that wall.......