What big travel hard tails are there from £1000-£1500?

cameroncjgc
cameroncjgc Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
small budget full suss bikes aren't a great idea as the bearings tend to be of a bad quality and the forks are a nightmare to get serviced because they are usually made by minor brands. If I am looking to get an all mountain / free-ride bike with about 140mm front travel, what bike should I be looking at? or are there any other options to consider?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a small budget, and Suntour, Zoom etc are hardly minor brands. Although that has little to do with servicing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • in my experience most of the guys that service shocks do Fox, Rockshox and some do DTSwiss, Xfusion and marzocchi
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you asked? They are all serviceable easily enough.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    Check out the Jan issue of MBR magazine. There is a group test of long travel hardtails. The 2014 Whyte 905 650b scores the rare accolade of 10/10.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Does it have to be a hardtail, which full suspension bikes have you looked at, have you considered a Titus el Guapo? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIELGX5/t ... ntain_bike

The spec isn't bad for the money and the bike gets really good reviews, looked after by on one in the UK so aftersales service should be good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for something like a used Giant Reign or Specialized Stumpjumper. For around a grand you can get a really nice year old bike.
  • I picked up a second hand Whyte 905 2010 a couple of years ago for £850 (from a bike shop). Pretty decent spec as standard, RocShox Reba forks, shimano SLX and hayes stroker brakes.

Although I ride a lot more road than mtb it is a great to ride and mates who ride mtb a lot really rate it.

Hope this helps a bit!
  • miceden wrote:
    Does it have to be a hardtail, which full suspension bikes have you looked at, have you considered a Titus el Guapo? http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBTIELGX5/t ... ntain_bike

The spec isn't bad for the money and the bike gets really good reviews, looked after by on one in the UK so aftersales service should be good.

The spec is pretty good for the money, and an air fork!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd be looking at Whyte hardtails althought the carbon 456 looks great value.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • 456 is a good one although I believe the carbon's have a less aggressive set up then what you can get in the Ti.....
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    miceden wrote:

The spec is pretty good for the money, and an air fork!
    no ordinary air fork, that pike is what all the pros use and is worth half what the bike cost if you buy it separately!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The El Guapo does have a nice fork but the rest of the components are pretty rubbish though it is cheap.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The El Guapo does have a nice fork but the rest of the components are pretty rubbish though it is cheap.

disagree. the shock is good, the frame is solid, 2x10 setup is decent as sram x5 isnt THAT bad, wide bar short stem, if i was looking for an affordable all mountain bike i would get that or the X9 version that costs 500 pounds more