Are Look Keo bearings trash?

mm1
mm1 Posts: 1,063
edited January 2014 in Workshop
We're not yet into winter proper and I've just had bearings seize on relatively new look Keo's. I remember bearings in quill pedals (sealed like Mavic, or traditional like campag) and Look deltas lasting for years without needing to be serviced, but Keo's seem to have poor bearings and even worse seals. I haven't bothered to get replacement spindles, just gone for the £27 RSP KEO copies instead.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Have Look Keos on road and turbo bikes, both well into second year of regular use with no bearing problems.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    I have run Keos without issue for a few years now but a pal of mine who is a pro-rider was absolutely scathing of them in a passing conversation the other day. Said that he'd gone through countless Look pedals in a previous season.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You could try removing the axles and packing them with grease.
    More problems but still living....
  • mm1
    I know. The axles are soaking in WD40 - one side has completely seized, and the other is close. This is the 2nd pair that this has happened on. The bearing assembly on the newer model (the one with the steel pressure plate) just seems far less robust and water proof than other pedals that I've used over 40 years. In contrast, the SPDs on my mountain bike are 8 years old and spin like new.
  • Strange, i ve got the keo max 2s and the older keo carbons, 10k and 25k respectively, in all weathers, no problems, the carbon body is worn but i ve had no bearing issues.
  • WD40 isn't a lubricant so it has probably made the bearings worse and anyway you shouldn't use spray type lubes on bearings as it will dissolve what little grease is left in them.
  • keo bearings are crap. Changed to exustar copies, third of the price, nicer looking wider platform and no failures.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    WD40 isn't a lubricant so it has probably made the bearings worse and anyway you shouldn't use spray type lubes on bearings as it will dissolve what little grease is left in them.

Yep^^^

WD40 and GT85 dissolve oil and grease
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am not sure why the manufacturer claims it lubricates but as already said it does no such thing.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mm1
    Was going to use the spray to try to unseize the bearings before trying to service them, but don't think I'll bother. The £27 RSP copies seem fine.
  • My 2yo Keo Classics gave in this morning - LH pedal almost solid and RH bearing rough.

Is there a guide to strip, grease and refit the axle/bearings ?
    All the gear, but no idea...