Another Which Garmin Post

taimur
taimur Posts: 173
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi
I am looking to buy a GPS computer. Plan on pairing it with a Powermeter heart strap (powercal) for some basic training and perhaps a wheel at some later stage if I get advanced enough.

maps would be useful for some weekend rides but not necessary. was pretty sure I wanted 510 until I noticed that that there is less than 10% price difference between the two. so I am double minded now.

been looking at prices on handtec.co.uk, evans, CRC and wiggle.

appreciate the help and guidance.
1996 Cannondale M500 CAAD3 (Hardtail MTB)
2007 Cannondale F700 CAAD
2010 Cube Agree SL (Road, retired)
2011 Cube Litening Super HPC DI2 Frame, with Ultegra Di2 Components

Comments

• I'd base it purley on the maps on the 800 (are they inlcuded in that price)

The most benifit for the 510 is connectivity, i.e. the bluetooth. So people can follow your rides, you can get weather updates and upload rides easier. But you have to have a phone with you conected to the internet, which will eat the battery. So you probably wont use the functions.
    I think the 800 can customise screens like the 510 can?

So back to the maps..........
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    if i was you i'd go for the 500, not the 510. If you arent too bothered about the connectivity.

you can follow breadcrumb trails which i've done a few times and not ideal but more than adequate if you have a rough idea of where you are meant to be going.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Chris Bass wrote:
    if i was you i'd go for the 500, not the 510. If you arent too bothered about the connectivity.

you can follow breadcrumb trails which i've done a few times and not ideal but more than adequate if you have a rough idea of where you are meant to be going.

Yes, but don't forget you can also get turn-by-turn route pop-ups on the 500. I upload our club runs from saved BikeRouteToaster routes (.TCX format) and I get instructions on screen, "L at RAB", for example. Basic, but all you need really.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for the 500 too. The breadcrumb trails seem fine to follow.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I upload our club runs from saved BikeRouteToaster routes (.TCX format) and I get instructions on screen, "L at RAB", for example. Basic, but all you need really.

Unfortunately, BikeRouteToaster is toast!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I like the maps on the 800/810 hence voting for the 800 ... I don't bother with maps most of the time, so for that perhaps you'd say I should have a 500/510 - but when you're on your bike in an unfamiliar area it's nice to have a live map on your screen.
    Plenty of threads on where to get the free maps - but I have to admit, the OS maps are nice if you're off roading at all....

Breadcrumb trails are all well and good, but they don't show you that you're about to hit a big climb - or how much longer of the big climb you've got (just round the corner) or that there's an alternate route available ...