How to carry spare race wheels

TakeTurns
TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
edited December 2013 in Amateur race
I live in London and ride to all my races (15-30miles). Next season I'll be racing on tubular wheels - so if I puncture I'll be bankrupt. In order to eliminate the risk I'll need to carry them as spares...somehow. I wish there were a backpack that'd accommodate a wheelset...or is there?

Tips, ideas, experiences? :D

Comments

• Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Ive seen someone ride a track bike to the velodrome with spare wheels attached to the bottom of their drops (so the spare wheels are each side of the front one). I dont know what it would be called though so cant find a photo but it looked fairly simple just a bit of metal and a strap
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    These are what they used to use, you can make some with spanners (cheers to clubmate Rob M for the link):
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... riers.html

But tbh if you're riding through urban traffic, I would just use a backpack with some velcro straps or bungy cords. I've carried one wheel 40 miles out a bike shop that was fixing it for me and it was no big deal -- just put it across the back of my backpack. Attaching two would be slightly trickier but still do-able. Get a decent cycling rucksack thing with lots of attachment points and it should be fine.
  • Head down to army surplus and pick up one of the bags covered in the loop material. You can easily strap a couple of wheels to it as well as carry any excess kit you require.

Mine has side zips for expansion or attaching extra pouches, and will quite happily carry an entire bike in pieces.
  • maryka wrote:
    These are what they used to use, you can make some with spanners (cheers to clubmate Rob M for the link):
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... riers.html
    I was going to suggest the same sort of thing. The other thing that came to mind was a small trailer attached to the seat post.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Bungy cord to rucksack. Two to keep the wheels together and one to go around the wheels + pack. If you also attach at the top of the bag, you stop the wheel stabbing you in the head every time you try to look up.

Just remember you're wider than you think!
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    I carried an entire, unbuilt bike on my back once, from the bike shop to my workplace. Never again.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • I have seen a guy cycling whilst lifting another bike with one hand... a pretty impressive feat, considering it wasn't a light bike... I wonder if he had nicked it... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • buckles
    Riding home on your training bike whilst pushing your race bike home is fun too, especially when you need to signal to turn right....
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Buckles wrote:
    Riding home on your training bike whilst pushing your race bike home is fun too, especially when you need to signal to turn right....
    Riding one bike while pushing another is part of the Dutch citizenship test (as is riding with 3 kids, 2 bags of groceries, and a bouquet of flowers all loaded on your bike...)
  • Buckles wrote:

Yes, but he was lifting it... some 30 pounder... whilst cycling... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • buckles
    Maybe one of the wheels was still D-locked to the frame
  • TakeTurns
    Hmm, so strap the wheels to a backpack or carry with a messenger bag.

I'll pop into a few of our amazingly well established bike shops to see if they'll be able to sell me one to do the job. Should make an interesting conversation.
  • Double wheel bag then stitch a few straps to it and wear as a back pack. Webbing is cheap enough of if you want something more comfy, cut the straps off an old or cheap back pack
  • TakeTurns
    gavbarron wrote:
    Double wheel bag then stitch a few straps to it and wear as a back pack. Webbing is cheap enough of if you want something more comfy, cut the straps off an old or cheap back pack

Great idea! I have a double padded wheelbag. It comes with a single strap. Another strap sown on should prevent it from swinging about. I'll need to find a professional for that, last thing I'd want is the stitching work I learnt at year 8 resulting in my wheelset under a car.
  • Take some tips from this guy:

VN_BICYCLE_W.jpg