pedals

morleyman200
morleyman200 Posts: 513
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Strange one

Im building a couple of bikes up for a friend, theyre bikes from halfords, he bought them for his 7&8 year old children.

basically when trying to fit the pedals in the crank arms, the pedal axle is too big for the crank arm hole.

I have never come across this before, i was wondering if anyone else has?

Is it just a bad manufacturing part on halfords hands?

before anyone says that they are from halfords, i know they are not exactly top dollar/quality, but they are made for small kids, so we'll skip out that comment.

thanks tom

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You are probably trying to fit 9/16 pedals into the smaller 1/2 hole.....or are you trying to fit a left in a right so the threads won''t match?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I know about left and right hand thread, built many bikes :)

Well I just thought I was missing something, I didn't actually realise there were different size pedal axles, it was the pedals that came with the bike which won't fit.

But suppose that's halfords for you!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like they put pedals from an adult bike in the box. Might be nothing to do with Halfords but someone in Taiwan or China or wherever the bike was boxed.

Kids bikes often have 1/2" threads as do one piece cranks on adult bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown