Plastic around crankset

leyuzzzz
leyuzzzz Posts: 19
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I recently replaced my crankset now I was in process of replacing front derailleur to align it properly I had to remove plastic mud protector that was attached outside it to the biggest sprocket. I had one with previous crankset too but do I actually need it? It gave me troubles while cleaning my sprockets and except that I haven't noticed any use of it. So do I have to install it again and why?

Thanks

Comments

• Not needed - all it does in theory is to keep a bit of grease/oil from chain off your clothing.
  • Well seeing state of my jeans it never done that :D So if that is it's only role I won't install it again :D Thanks for help.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Trouser guard, designed to stop your trousers going in between chain and gear and getting shredded.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hmmmm I will try it for a while without if it will shred my trousers I will put it back on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will, by then the trousers will be shredded!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.