1995 MTB, parts wearing out...

bazzer2
bazzer2 Posts: 189
edited December 2013 in The workshop
1994 Cannondale, was on MTB duties up until about 4 years ago. Has LX throughout except STX Chainset. M563 Parallax hubs, 7 speed, 36h handbuilt wheels. V brakes.

The bearing has gone in the freehub and it's rumbling. Looks pitted to me. The other side is fine. The rims are both disintegrating with each application of the lever. I am going to try some pads but I think it's gone past the point where the anodising would be effective and the metal is coming away.

So I looked at getting a replacement freehub. No go. Can't find a compatible 7 speed one.

Now I think I need wheels. I don't want Alivio or Acera spec, I want something half decent!

Can I get 8 or 9 speed to fit in the frame?
Can I get V brake wheels off the shelf somewhere that I can fit 8 or 9 speed to?

Comments

• Should be able to get a spacer to allow you to run a 7 speed cassette on a modern (8/9 speed) freehub body. Had to do this a few years ago when my 1995 Trek 6000 needed a new rear wheel...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or just fit an 8 speed cassette and index it so one gear is redundant!
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Can I get V brake wheels off the shelf somewhere that I can fit 8 or 9 speed to?
    Yes, lots and lots of choice, try Merlin first...... good option http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... le-26.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.