Stelvio Pass and surrounding area - also Lake Como

bobtbuilder
bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
edited May 2014 in Tour & expedition
Hello folks,

I'm planning to take my bike to Italy this Summer. My intial thoughts are to have a week near Bormio to tackle the Stelvio and then a second week at Lake Como.

If any of you folks have ridden the Stelvio, could you let me know:

1) What is the area around it like? By this I mean, is it big mountains in all directions with little option for easier days?

2) Any other info, recommendations, etc. :)

Actually, while I'm at it, any thoughts on Como would be equally welcome!

Thanks.

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I went out for the Granfondo Stelvio.

Area is really nice with good roads up and down the Bormio valley.

On the day we did three main climbs:
    - Stelvio long but steady. Not really that difficult and to do this on its own would not constitute a hard day.
    - Teglio; shortish rolling climb. Felt like doing Leith hill but 50% longer and descent was fantastic.
    - Mortirolo; a killer. We did the goat track version which has 10km of 11-18% and then a kicker of 1km of 24%. Need compact and 32T at the back for that.

Stayed at the Hotel San Lorenzo in Bormio - http://www.sanlorenzobormio.it/index_en.aspx. We booked via a website and got it Euro 100 per night. It has underground parking, a secure basement for bikes with racks, bike stand (but no tools). Family run and food was good. Owner’s daughter got up early to ensure buffet breakfast was running early for day of the event.

Some friends of mine went with a cycling package. Their hotel was Hotel Funivia http://www.hotelfuniva.it in the centre of town and had a pool. They stayed a day longer so went and did the Mortirolo one day and then the Teglio and Stelvio on another. Their hotel was busier and seemed more well known for cycling tours. They went via Dudley Samuels (dudleylsamuels@o2.co.uk / http://www.5034events.co.uk. He will know the area very well.
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks Izza,

That's really helpful.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Trento is a lovely town to stop in for a stroll and some lunch. Did Stelvio in a single day trip from Como region so don't know about surrounding areas.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    The Stelvio is one of the toughest climbs in the Giro d'Italia which takes place in May each year. I recall this year they had to change the route as the weather was so bad - freezing snow.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Yep, I was there in nearly August and there was a thunderstorm when I first parked up. It was a lovely day soon after, but it's very changeable up there!
  • There is Stelvio bike day when the pass is closed to trafic

http://www.south-tirol.com/event/167/stelvio-bike-day
  • This years Stelvio Bike Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNR_Y-PRIPs
  • bobtbuilder
    I'm looking for information about the overall area around the Stelvio rather than the climb itself.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Could anyone confirm how much of a drive it is from Bergamo to Bormio by car?
  • Not done it from Bergamo but have travelled all round that area and I would think it must be about 2.5 or 3 hours.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    thought so ok cheers -was hoping someone would say more like 2 !
  • Nah, and to be honest, those times are a little on the optimistic side.
  • I did a trip around the lakes last summer incl lake como. The climbs are relatively short & sort of like doing box hill for 10 km. I truly longed to go rogue & desert to ride stelvio. But if you're looking to relax I'm sure you could find a nice town--it's huge, that lake. We were outside bellagio (insanely tacky) & climbed the ghiselo, which was interesting as there's a bike shrine at the top but I wouldn't consider it a destination climb. And the ride around the lake is up & down so quite fun. My understanding is there are a number of potentially challenging climbs around there -- we just didn't do them.
  • Between the legs of Lake Como are the Muro di Sormano and the Madonna del Ghisallo. Both are must-do climbs IMHO.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The area round Bormio is basically mountains - in one direction you've got the Passo della Gavia and in the other Livigno and the Forcella di Livigno and the Passo di Bernina, and in the other the Passo di Mortirolo.

Around the Lago di Como it's also fairly mountainous - and a fair amount of climbing on the road around the lake itself - including, as someone has said, the classic climb to the chapel of the Madonna di Ghisallo. (A classic mostly because of its history - but some of the views are great).

On the subject of the roads around the lake, there are quite a few tunnels. On the northern side, you can avoid them because the local authorities have now converted the sections of old road into cycleways, but on the eastern side it's more tricky - but you can make use of the boat services. (You can generally use tunnels - but lights are definitely a good idea - but they aren't particularly pleasant).

I'm guessing that you are planning to travel from Bormio to the Lago di Como by car - but if not it's worth knowing that bikes aren't allowed on the SS38 - instead there's a useful cycleway (which also goes past the foot of the Mortirolo) called the Sentiero Valtellina - this takes you pretty much the whole way to the lake. More details here on my website ( http://italy-cycling-guide.info )

There are some articles on my website which will give you a flavour of what the area has to offer:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/series/ ... -lombardia

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/series/western-lakes

The hotels in the area have formed a marketing consortium called Alta Rezia Bike. some hotels offer packages including guided groups.

Oh and according to this site it's 155 kilometres by road from Bergamo to Bormio.

PS - I'd suggest splitting the week in Bormio between Bormio and Livigno - that way you'd give yourself a greater range of options.
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks Andy, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for.

I've just PM'd you.
  • ligfietser
    ligfietser Posts: 18
    Stelvio is one of the most beautiful climbs I rode outside of Norway. Did it in 2012 from Prato, in 2013 from Bormio and this summer I hope to ride it from Switzerland.
  • m.indurain
    m.indurain Posts: 4
    Hello, 1st sorry for my not so good English - I am German. I went the Stelvio approx. 10 times. At the south tirol side you find also easier possibilties for cycling. The area between Merano and Bolzano is a good place to stay some days. You have high monuntains around, but there also very good cycleways through the Etsch- and Eisack-valley. In the Etsch-valley there is a cyclingway from the Reschenpass to Verona (nearly flat from Merano to Verona). In the Eisack-valley there is a cyclingway from Brenner to Bolzano.

Here you find information about cycling along the lake come:

http://comer.see.rennrad.europaradtouren.de

Its in German, you can use online translator.

Some pics:

2-aussicht-comer-see-madonna-del-ghisallo.jpg

4-passo-agueglio.jpg

8-comer-see-dorio.jpg

Ciao
    Peter
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    I'll be heading up the Stelvio in the first week of September myself (Raid Alpine / Raid Dolomites back to back).

A question for those experienced with riding in the Alps at that time of year. What weather should typically be expected at that time of year? Did Ventoux in mid Sept last year and it was b!oody freezing cold and felt like a hurricane at the top! Fortunately we had a support van and put on long sleeved jerseys from the ski station - but dont think we'll have the same level of support on every climb (Marmot Tours - so maybe wrong)
  • ligfietser
    ligfietser Posts: 18
    izza wrote:
    - Mortirolo; a killer. We did the goat track version which has 10km of 11-18% and then a kicker of 1km of 24%. Need compact and 32T at the back for that.
    Thanks for the tip. I will be riding that one on my route to Rome this summer.

Walter
  • m.indurain
    m.indurain Posts: 4
    I'll be heading up the Stelvio in the first week of September myself (Raid Alpine / Raid Dolomites back to back). A question for those experienced with riding in the Alps at that time of year.

The possibility that you have sunny / pleasent weather is high (but lower than in Provence, Mont Ventoux). But in Alpes above 2000 m you can even have snow in July or August. So you should be prepared for sunny but also for cold and rainy weather. The best is to be a bit flexible: to be able to cycle the high passes at googd weather conditions.

Regards
    Peter
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    [quote="m.indurainThe possibility that you have sunny / pleasent weather is high (but lower than in Provence, Mont Ventoux). But in Alpes above 2000 m you can even have snow in July or August. So you should be prepared for sunny but also for cold and rainy weather. The best is to be a bit flexible: to be able to cycle the high passes at googd weather conditions.

Regards
    Peter[/quote]

Cheers Peter

Think i'll invest in some arm / leg warmers then (other than club ones which are a bit bulky) and probably about time I bought a better quality packable waterproof than the freebie Altura one that Cycling+ were giving away with subscriptions last year.

Cheers