Sportive regulation on its way

2»

Comments

• Stedman wrote:
    If these events were simply not numbered, then it would possibly be seen as another day with a lot of cyclist out rather than yet another big cycling event taking place!

Not all sportives require participants to carry numbers. Wiggle ones do for example, but Evans do not. And Dean from Evans has posted on this forum stating they don't do so for this exact reason.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,048
    Legally a race seems to be defined as a "race" which is a bit circular or a "trial of speed" which is not a time trial. In cycling terms race normally means a road race - so arguably is a sportive a trial of speed? I think you cold argue it either way - the truth is for some it probably is and for others not. I may have missed the bit about the key element being publishing results, if it says that explicitly then sportives do appear to be on dodgy ground. If that is just being inferred from the term "Trial of speed" I'm not sure I agree it's so clear cut. So long as your time isn't ranked then it doesn't seem to me to be a trial of speed - just because it might be possible for someone to collate the results and rank them doesn't change my view on that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]