BB axle length

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited December 2013 in Workshop
I am a MTBer and dont know much about roadbikes but I am tinkering with a Specialized Allez for a friend. I need to replace the BB because its rumbling got it out and its a brand I have never heard of called RPM. I want to replace it with a good Shimano square taper BB. I know what shell width I need 68mm but when I measured the axle it came out as 108.5 I went onto CRC site and they do a UN 55 in 107mm or 110mm :?

Which one do you guys reccomend I get, worried if I get the 107 there might be crank and heel clearance issues.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The 107mm should easily fit unless you've got less than 1mm clearance between the inside of the crank and the chainstay. Even if you go to 110mm, you're only moving the chainline out by 0.75mm, well within the tolerances of the drivetrain. FWIW RPM are a Taiwanese OEM brand whose owners also make FSA stuff.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You should also check that the original axle is symmetrical, ie that the same amount sticks out on both sides. I have occasionally encountered them with a longer axle on the drive side.
  • What make of chainset is fitted?
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    stubs wrote:
    I know what shell width I need 68mm but when I measured the axle it came out as 108.5 I went onto CRC site and they do a UN 55 in 107mm or 110mm

Don't assume current one is necessarily correct - the important factor is to get the right one for the crankset, so look it up on Sheldon brown's table:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Decided to go for the 110mm BB the cranks are pretty close to the chainstays with the original BB and to my eyes I wouldnt like to go any closer. As its from CRC its no biggie to get it swapped for the 107mm if it looks wrong.

I think this is the crankset Shimano 2300 8 speed not the greatest of cranks I reckon and heavier than my SLX twin and bash MTB crankset but good enough for a student who is skint.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap